Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    judyann60 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2016, 07:29 AM
    Break up
    My boyfriend just broke up on Sunday. During the 7 month relationship we talked about getting married and he bought me a living room set because I didn't have one and at least we would have some place to sit and talk. As I said we broke up on Sunday and now he is taking me to small claims court stating that I will not let him have his furniture back. I texted him on Monday and told him that he could give the furniture store my number and I would be more than happy to set up a time for them to get the furniture. I don't know what to do. He is saying that I owe him $2,500. HELP!
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Oct 26, 2016, 08:50 AM
    Was it a gift?

If he purchased it then it is his, and you'll have to arrange a time for him to come get it. I would recommend that you have friends there.

I think he is posturing and threatening, I don't think he'll take you to court. If he does they'll just tell you to give it back. I don't know what the court fees will be though.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 26, 2016, 09:02 AM
    Is there a reason you won't give it back? Set up a time for him to come get the furniture and make sure you have friends or family present at that time.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 26, 2016, 05:15 PM
    Gift, not a gift, it's all such a mess. When you're a couple it's assumed to be a gift unless there's something in writing stating otherwise.

If it were me I'd go to court. It's small claims, he can only sue for the return of the furniture or it's depreciated value. What do you have to lose? If he gets the furniture, you give it up. If he loses, you get the furniture.

Unless he has something in writing saying that the furniture was a loan while you were a couple, he really doesn't have a leg to stand on.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 26, 2016, 05:37 PM
    If it was a gift, you do not have to give it back.
    If it was a loan, you pay him back or give it back

If he lived there, and you shared it with him, then it would normally be considered his, an he takes it, if he moves out.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Oct 26, 2016, 06:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by judyann60 View Post
    My boyfriend just broke up on Sunday. During the 7 month relationship we talked about getting married and he bought me a living room set because I didn't have one and at least we would have some place to sit and talk. As I said we broke up on Sunday and now he is taking me to small claims court stating that I will not let him have his furniture back. I texted him on Monday and told him that he could give the furniture store my number and I would be more than happy to set up a time for them to get the furniture. I don't know what to do. He is saying that I owe him $2,500. HELP!
    When did he ask for the furniture back?

Did he purchase the furniture or rent-to-own the furniture? Is he making payments on the furniture? If he bought the furniture, the store may not take it back.

What was the agreement when he bought the furniture? Was anyone else present when he "gave" it to you or who knows what the agreement was?

Make certain that you save the text offering to return the furniture and any responses he makes.

Since you don't seem to want the furniture (I know I wouldn't after a break-up), I agree with sending him a text (or have someone present when calling him) to set up a time to retrieve it. Take time/date stamped pictures of the pieces before he takes them in case he tries to sue for damages.

Protect yourself by being polite. Don't let him goad you into a fight or into saying anything that sounds like you owe him for the furniture.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I ask him for a break, but he didn't give it to me. Now he is asking me for a break? [ 11 Answers ]

Ok so my boyfriend and I have been together for 2 years already. I love him so much. I wanted a break around may so I can get some stress out of me since I was about to graduate from high school and had work everyday after school. He never gave me a break, he always look for me and came to my...

Reasons girls break up vs. Why guys break up [ 12 Answers ]

Hello all: Having recently been broken up with my girlfriend and reading some of the posts on this site, I became curious as to why girls break up vs. why guys break up when there is really nothing wrong with the relationship (ie no fighting no obvious cheating, etc). I don't think its always...

Break/break up/wierd relationship [ 9 Answers ]

Here's my situation... I met an old friend from elementary school when I was camping. (we both are 18). WE went on a couple dates and started oficially going out. We dated for about a month and then she became really y, and we decided to take a break for a whille. 5 hrs later she called me and said...

Girlfriend of year and half wants a break/break up [ 14 Answers ]

Hello everyone. This is my first time posting hopefully you guys can help me out here. I have been with the same girl for on off about 3 years now. The most recent time we have been going out has been a year and a half and now all of a sudden she wants a break/breakup. I guess I kind of saw...

View more questions Search