Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Yusf Posts: 198, Reputation: 3

Oct 25, 2016, 11:48 PM
    Gauss law problem
    The question (in a tutorial video) was like this: find the electric field at a distance of .5m away from an infinite wire of charge density .25 micro coulumb/m. The solution used gauss law to solve this . It went "integral of vector E dot vector DA equals the charge enclosed over permittivity". Then the person said to draw a cylinder around the wire. And proceeded to calculate E field and Area of it. Now, the e field comes out perpendicularly from the surface of the cylinder. So the dot product of Vector e and vector dA (d area) should equal the magnitude of E field rimes magnitude of dA times cos theta. But theta is 90 and cos thetha is zero! How will this work?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 26, 2016, 07:26 AM
    The integral you're talking about is this:

Your question boils down to this: what is the direction of the vector ? Its direction is perpendicular to the incremental area dA. Hence and point in the same direction - they are not at right angles to each other. Hence = 1.
    Yusf Posts: 198, Reputation: 3

Oct 26, 2016, 09:41 AM
    Oooooo! Confusion cleared. Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gauss Jordan Elimination method [ 1 Answers ]

A farmer has 200 acres of land suitable for cultivating crops A, B and C. The cost per acre of cultivating crop A, crop B and crop C is $40, $60 and $80, respectively. The farmer has $12,600 available for land cultivation. Each acre of crop A requires 20 labor-hours, each acre of crop B requires 25...

Mother-In-Law Problem [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I recently married. We are a blended family. He is a widow with two children. I have three children. Our lives are very busy! My MIL helped my husband a lot after his wife died. She basically became the mother figure for his kids. She was great! However, since we have been...

Gauss-Jordan Method of equations [ 2 Answers ]

Having trouble solving the following equation using the Gauss-Jordan method::eek: 2x-5y+z=11 3x+y-6z=1 5x-4y-5z=12 Anyone know an easy way to solve these equations?

Gauss-Jordan elimination [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, Id really appreciate help with these two particular questions.. ive been trying to figure them out for two days! Please help! :( {5 -1 -1 -8 : 5 } {10 -2 4 2 : 8} And the second one is :

View more questions Search