Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Yusf Posts: 198, Reputation: 3

Oct 23, 2016, 10:14 AM
    An integration question in magnetic field calculations
    The teacher at ilectureonline.com was deriving a formula for magnetic field produced by an infinite current carrying wire. Then he reached a stage like that shown at the attachment. Now, if I put infinity as the value of y, how does the part in brackets reduce to 1/R ?
    He says r square plus infinity square equals infinity square. That I understand. So we have infinity square to the power of one half with equals infinity cubed.
    Then one might say that infinity cubed equals infinity so the infinity on numerator cancels with that of the denominator. This sounds OK. But this will not work if y equals a very very large number.
    So how does this integral work for a very very large value for upper limit of this integral? (PS the upper limit came from half the length of the wire.)

We know that the magnetic field near the centre of a very large wire should be very close to that created by an infinite wire.
    Attached Images

ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 23, 2016, 12:22 PM
    Please double check the equation - you wrote this for the part in the brackets:

(I assume that the exponents that look like letter v's are really 2's, based on your description.)

But I wonder if what you meant is this:

?

The integral as you wrote reduces to 0 for - it's essentially for y approaching . But if the exponent in the denominator is 1/2 instead of 1.5 the expression in the brackets approaches 1/R for large values of y.
    Yusf Posts: 198, Reputation: 3

Oct 23, 2016, 03:00 PM
    Yes I did make a mistake in my equation and I am extremely sorry for this. As I had a bad video quality, I mistook his "one half" as "one AND half". Reading your reply, I checked everything on online integral calculator and found the problem.
    so yes that solves my problem. Thanks.
    (never realised by squares look like v's . I will watch out for that from now on. )

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The relationship between the magnetic field and the solar field [ 2 Answers ]

What is the relationship between the magnetic field and the area surrounding solar planets? Does the sun is a large magnet, or what that attracts the sun and planets constantly driven? Are the lines that control the path of the planets have a magnetic domain relationship? I'm sorry to frequent...

North or South Magnetic Field? [ 2 Answers ]

I don't know the polarity of my magnet. I don't know if it's north, south, or a different one on each side. How do I find out?

Magnetic field in the solenoid? [ 0 Answers ]

A long solenoid (n = 1200turns/m, radius = 2.0 cm) has a current of a 0.30 A in its winding.A long wire carrying a current of 20 A is parallel to and 1.0 cmfrom the axis of the solenoid. What is the magnitude of theresulting magnetic field at a point on the axis of thesolenoid?

Force on a wire in a magnetic field. [ 1 Answers ]

If a 190 cm wire carrying 15.00 A of current experiences a force of 0.60N, a)What is the direction and magnetic field intensity that is causing this? b)At what angle would the field need to be at to have the force experienced?

A point charge moving in a magnetic field of 1.24 [ 1 Answers ]

A point charge moving in a magnetic field of 1.24 Tesla experiences a force of 0.813·10-11 N. The velocity of the charge is perpendicular to the magnetic field. In this problem, we use the points of the compass and `into' and `out of' to indicate directions with respect to the page. If the...

View more questions Search