Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Trishala Raj Posts: 95, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2016, 11:07 AM
    Speeding ticket at school zone -wake county
    HI,

Got a speeding ticket in wake county at a school zone( 36mph) WHat is my best option . I have never got a speeding ticket before.

1. Should I ask for a speed reduction to 9mph? Is that allowed for school zone speeding in Wake county?

2. Should I ask for a PJC?

I am not planning on hiring a attorney .

Do advice.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 21, 2016, 11:28 AM
    In which state is Wake County?
    Trishala Raj Posts: 95, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2016, 11:33 AM
    North Carolia
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 21, 2016, 11:40 AM
    Were you speeding? If so, pay the fine.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 21, 2016, 11:53 AM
    Why would you NOT just pay the fine and be done with it, and be more aware of how/where you drive going forward? How much is the fine? What is JPC?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Oct 21, 2016, 12:06 PM
    You can ask to plead to a lower violation. Most North Carolina D.A.s spend an hour before traffic court convenes doing just that. Whether you can get the prosecutor to agree is up to them. If the limit is normally 35 your chances are fair.

Understand that if you ever hit a kid in a school zone with this on your record you'll have every cop in the State on your butt. I'll be cheering the cops, too.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2016, 12:08 PM
    11 over in school zone... you can ask for a reduction.. but with the kids around.. you are less likely to get it than 11 over on a rural country road.

if you got your license recently...you are screwed..if you have had a clean record for 20 years...they might be more sympathetic.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 21, 2016, 12:09 PM
    JPC = juvenile probation counselor?
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2016, 12:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    JPC = juvenile probation counselor?
    if they are 16 or 17, they are screwed... no real driving history to play sympathy on.

And this is traffic court...not criminal court, you AREN'T getting free representation....Lawyer would be really expensive for a moving violation less than 20+ over.

Take it to court, you play court costs too....plus the original fine even if it s not reduced. Its a gamble. If you are a teen, you are almost certain to lose...I can argue them and usually win, But I have an Engineering degree, deep knowledge on how these work and can make a good argument...most people can't.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 21, 2016, 12:14 PM
    I usually went to court (I no longer get tickets). It is worth it. But I was good at it. You haven't even told us the speed limit, what time of day, what day.... your questions indicate a certain amount of cluelessness.

You get there early and wait in line. Being first is handy. You dress nicely. You act polite and respectful but not obsequious. You understand that they do this all day, every day, and want it to be QUICK. You say you've never had so much as a meter violation, you thought you were under the speed limit, you now know you weren't, it will never happen again.

Traffic court is assembly line. Mine were always a police officer representing all arresting officers + a 'judge' of sorts, in a little room with all other people waiting in a hall. You have to be in and out in 2 minutes each.

(You don't sound like a minor...)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 21, 2016, 12:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    if they are 16 or 17, they are screwed... no real driving history to play sympathy on.

And this is traffic court...not criminal court, you AREN'T getting free representation....Lawyer would be really expensive for a moving violation less than 20+ over.
    Ah, I had the initials mixed up:

"A prayer for judgment continued or PJC is unique to North Carolina, and is a type of disposition that is frequently used in misdemeanor cases in North Carolina courts. Many people think that a PJC is a good thing to get, but over the years the value of a PJC has been chipped away such that these days a PJC may only be valuable in certain traffic cases where insurance points or license suspension is at stake."

More explanation at:

https://www.chetson.com/2011/05/what...ent-continued/
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2016, 12:27 PM
    Never hurts to try... court costs are a fraction of the fine. In the last 30 years.. I have won 9 out of 10 tickets... considering a win as a reduction, but I have gotten half of those tossed out. won't say online, what and how...because few people could back up the credentials themselves I used in my defense. And those were key, along with being technically accurate and plausible.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 21, 2016, 06:24 PM
    In Georgia (can't say about NC) the police officer has to agree to a reduction.

School zone is seldom reduced bcause of the seroiusness.

If you are a teenager, then they almost never reduce.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Oct 22, 2016, 02:19 AM
    In Carolina court costs are paid for every fine, appearance notwithstanding. A $15.00 fine cost me $185.00 just 2 years ago. I don't know Raleigh that well, but Down East a PJC is very rare.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 22, 2016, 07:49 AM
    Why don't you just own up to it and pay the fine. You were speeding in a school zone, and that was posted for a good reason. What if you had hit a child ? In Ontario, you would not have got such a low fine and no recourse but to pay it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will I get a ticket for speeding? [ 2 Answers ]

Earlier today I was traveling on the Interstate going about 80mph in a 70mph zone. I came across a bridge with two people on it. Not noticing what was going on, I passed under the bridge, then I saw a flash like a camera, except it was a big box kind of thing? I was assuming this was some kind...

Speeding ticket wrong date to appear before judge on ticket? [ 9 Answers ]

Got a speeding ticket with the wrong date to appear before the judge. The date I received the ticket was 12-19-10 and the date to appear on or before is 1-12-10. Can it be dismissed?

I need help with a speeding ticket? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm just wondering approximately how much it's going to cost me. I live in Indiana and was pulled over in South Bend. This is my first "offense" ever, and I should probably add I was going 55 on a 30.. (although I do not believe I was really going that fast)

Speeding ticket in Delaware wrong date of birth and race on ticket [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone help out.I got a speeding ticket in Delaware,measure speed 58 mph,posted speed 35 mph and was charge for 40 mph with a total of $65.60, I am from New York I can pay this ticket but there are incorrect date of Birt and my race on the ticket.should I try to beat this ticket and will I...

View more questions Search