Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    melissamccreles Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2016, 06:51 PM
    Do I have a 401k somewhere
    401k I worked for alacare home health In 1994/1995 and never done anything with my 401k. Where is it now.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 19, 2016, 06:54 PM
    Contact the HR department at that company. There is no way we would know who holds your 401k.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 20, 2016, 01:51 AM
    If you only worked for them that short a time its unlikely you vested in anything. Did you make contributions? When you become 65 the SSA will send you information about any retirement plans you may have an interest in.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 20, 2016, 09:11 AM
    Assuming you contributed to a 401(k), and you never did anything with it after you left the company, one of two things may have occurred:

1. Your account may still be in the company's 401(k) plan. It may still be managed by the same financial firm that had it back when you were contributing (though it's possible that Alacare has changed 401(k) plan custodians - after all this is over 20 years ago). If you kept any of your statements that you received in the mail you should be able to contact them and find out what the status is. If not, then as others suggested call the HR department at Alacare and ask. If you do have a 401(k) account with Alacare be sure to keep them informed of your current address.

2. Most companies have a policy of closing out 401(k) accounts of ex-employees if the account balance is small - typically $5K or less. If that was the case then back in the mid-90's Alacare HR should have contacted you about rolling the money into an IRA, or else they would have sent you a distribution check to close it out. Are you sure this isn't what happened?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I work tax exempt. 401k or roth 401k [ 4 Answers ]

I am a US citizen and work overseas. I have the tax exempt status up to $85,000. This being said, should I invest in a 401k(which is before taxes) or a Roth 401K since I really don't have to pay taxes on the income I have. Regards, Garf

Is there an example of a 401K waiver that is read to 401K plan participants [ 0 Answers ]

Is there an example of a 401K waiver that is read to 401k plan participants, when they are processing a distribution from their plan with the recordkeeper over the phone.

401k loan and pulling momey out of a 401k to pay the loan off [ 2 Answers ]

I have just turned 591/2 and have a 5,000 dollar loan from my 401k... can I withdraw monies to pay this loan off... and how much will I be taxed if I do? Mickey Huddleston

401K or Roth 401K [ 3 Answers ]

Hai, I am an Indian, presently working for a USA company. I will be in US for next 2-3 years and then I will return back to my country. My employer gave the option to enroll for 401K plan or Roth 401k or a combination of both. And the employer matches my contribution at the rate of 50cents on a...

View more questions Search