Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kacooper Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2016, 10:10 AM
    Help, physics question!
    Doug's farm has a tank to store water for the livestock. The top of the tank is 19 ft tall and it sits on a hill that is 34 ft above the pump that fills it from a deep well. If the water from the pump pours into the tank from the top, How much pressure must the pump overcome to fill the tank?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 18, 2016, 10:13 AM
    What do YOU think ?
    While we're happy to HELP we wont do all the work for you.
    Show us what you have done and where you are having problems..
    Yusf Posts: 198, Reputation: 3

Oct 19, 2016, 06:53 PM
    Shouldn't the answer be equal to the difference in atmospheric pressure that rises in a height difference of 34 feet?
    Any expert , please tell me if I am right or not.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2016, 10:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Yusf View Post
    Shouldn't the answer be equal to the difference in atmospheric pressure that rises in a height difference of 34 feet?
    You need the water volume. 1/8" pipe vs 4 ft. diameter. Density, volume and height all factor in.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 20, 2016, 11:22 AM
    No, not right.
    Expert

Oct 20, 2016, 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    You need the water volume. 1/8" pipe vs 4 ft. diameter. Density, volume and height all factor in.
    You speak from practical experience, where issues such as the pipe cross-sectional area and the material it's made from can have an impact on the resistance the water experiences as it flows through the pipe. But for high school physics problems it's typical to ignore these complicating factors. Hence the pipe diameter, and water volume don't enter into the calculation. All that's needed is the height the water is being transported, the density of the water, and the gravitational constant g.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2016, 02:36 PM
    Yes, NFPA 13. Used to do it manually but now the computer does it for you. Although retired 11 years I still have some tables around.

Oct 23, 2016, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    No, not right.
    Okay, assume I correct the height to 34+19=53.
    So the maximum pressure P the pump has to take is (53*30/100 meters) *density of water*g. But again, atmospheric pressure is pushing on the water column. So shouldn't the total maximum pressure be pressure caused by the water column + atmospheric pressure?
    Expert

Oct 23, 2016, 05:47 PM
    Okay, assume I correct the height to 34+19=53.
    So the maximum pressure P the pump has to take is (53*30/100 meters) *density of water*g.

Where did the 30/100 come from?

But again, atmospheric pressure is pushing on the water column. So shouldn't the total maximum pressure be pressure caused by the water column + atmospheric pressure?
    Sure, but remenber that the difference in air pressure assists the pump. So you have:

Pump pressure =

But if you consider that the data provided is good to only 2 decimal places, and the density of air is so much less than the density of water, I think you'll find the impact of air pressure is negligible.

Oct 25, 2016, 11:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post

Where did the 30/100 come from?

Sure, but remenber that the difference in air pressure assists the pump. So you have:

Pump pressure =

But if you consider that the data provided is good to only 2 decimal places, and the density of air is so much less than the density of water, I think you'll find the impact of air pressure is negligible.
    Well, that 30/100 is converting feet to meters...
    Expert

Oct 25, 2016, 12:32 PM
    Got it. Using 3 ft/meter is a pretty rough approximation, but OK. My formula mistakenly said 53 m, where it should have been 53 ft:

Pump pressure =

where densities and the factor g are in Imperial units.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Physics question [ 2 Answers ]

A man can row at 1m/s when his boat is in fixed, stationary water. In a river, water flows at 0,5m/s. If the man tries to cross the river in which direction (angle with respect to the line that crosses the river) he needs to direct his boat to get to the opposite side of the river? My answer...

Physics Question. [ 2 Answers ]

A bullet is fired at an angle of 30 degree with the horizontal hits the ground 3 kilometer away. By adjusting its angle of projection can one hope to hit a target of 5 kilometer away? Assume the muzzle speed to be fixed and neglect air resistance.

Physics Question, Please help? [ 2 Answers ]

1. 2.6 * 10^5 J of heat were added to 1.1 kg of ice initially at -50 Celsius. Find the amount of ice, if any, that remains. 2. 1.5 kg of ice at 0 celsius was mixed with unknown mass of steam at 100 celsius and soon thermal equilibrium at 23 Celsius was established. Determine the mass of steam? 3....

Physics Question [ 1 Answers ]

Describe what is required for a magnetic field to be used to generate energy. How must a conductor loop be oriented and what must it do relative to the magnetic field. Thanks already!

View more questions Search