Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Yusf Posts: 198, Reputation: 3

Oct 17, 2016, 11:50 AM
    Calculate the rate of change of enegry production
    Hi!
    Please take a look at this question. The change in mass of this radioactive isotope can be calculated from this equation. But I don't know the mass of the products. If I had an equation for that, I could have calculated an equation for "loss" in mass (by mass of reactant minus mass of product) that happens in nucluer fission. Then the loss in mass would he converted to energy and I could have attempted calculating the rate using those equations and calculus.
    But without any mention of products, I am forced to assume that this equation gives the change in mass of reactant and products combined. Not just change in mass of reactant.
    I know it's wrong though.
    Attached Images

ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 17, 2016, 12:30 PM
    You're reading too much into it. Assume that the mass lost is completely converted to energy.

Oct 18, 2016, 07:44 AM
    Like this?
    Like this?
    Attached Images

ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 18, 2016, 08:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Yusf View Post
    Like this?
    Yes, I think that's correct.

By the way, you could have made the math a bit simpler, as follows:

The beginning amount of mass at t=0 is 0.0085 Kg, So when the mass is half the initial amount there is 0.00425 Kg of material.

dM/dt = -50 * M(t), so when M(t) = 1/2 the initial amount we have dM/dt = -50 *0.00425 = -0.2125 Kg/s. Multiply by c^2 to get the rate of energy production at that instant.

Oct 18, 2016, 09:35 AM
    Hey That's a nice shortcut!
    Thank-you for everything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I calculate production? [ 0 Answers ]

Osage Inc.. Has actual sales for June and July and forecast sales for August, September, October, and November as follows: Actual: June 4,150 units July 4,350 units Forecasted: August 4,200 units September 4,950 units October 3,900 units

What is the TDS rate for TV commercial production [ 1 Answers ]

Hi We are the TV commercial production house. We get the payment from AD Agency/Client. Some agencies deduct the tds under 94c @ 2% and some agencies deduct the tax under 194j @ 10%. Why there is difference between tds deduction if the scope of work is the same? Thanks

Calculate E.you. Of production for materials and conversion cost [ 2 Answers ]

Production Data - Basketballs Units %complete WIP 1/1 500 60% Units started in prod 1000 WIP 1/31 ...

How to calculate unit cost in a production company [ 1 Answers ]

I need to calculate unit cost for a hollow block production company, can any one help me to find out with the help of excel sheet format, so that I can calculate the unit cost. Reply me ASAP

View more questions Search