Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JimKen57 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2016, 09:29 AM
    Keyboard (No Response) Mystery
    I have an SGI Itanium Based Altix 450 computer. When attaching a mouse and keyboard, the mouse works - the keyboard does not respond when typing/logging in. I've tried other known good keyboards. Same response. I've checked connections. The connections are good. There are 4 ports on the Altix. All 4 ports yield the same response. Usually, a computer that won't respond to an inserted keyboard has a motherboard problem. Is there any other known reason why this computer responds to a mouse, yet doesn't respond to a keyboard?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Feb 10, 2017, 11:44 PM
    Wild guess: input has been redirected so the primates at the datacenter don't monkey with the box.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Mar 5, 2017, 08:56 AM
    Sorry I didn't notice this earlier. If a keyboard stops working (any keyboard according to you) the first thing to check is Device Manager. There are separate tabs for keyboard and mouse. If your keyboard tab is not coming up with a yellow exclamation mark then look to see what's listed there. If it's a generic MS driver then you can just uninstall it and then reboot to reinstall the drivers automatically. If its listed as your keyboard brand name then you would have to reinstall the drivers that came with the keyboard if you used them. I'm assuming your using USB since you mentioned 4 different connections, look for USB issues in your Device Manager or settings in the bios for USB keyboard. If your PC has at least one PS/2 connector you can try connecting a PS/2 type keyboard to see if that works (they can be had for really cheap). The USB drivers for USB mouse and keyboard are HID drivers (human interface device) and some boards actually come with an adapter for using a USB board in a PS/2 connection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does her response mean? [ 13 Answers ]

This was also posted in the dating category because I think people over there can help too. I sent a woman a text a few days ago telling her I have a crush on her. The text was more detailed than just that but that was the main idea of the text. She responded 2 days later and this was her...

Reconnect wireless keyboard without using a keyboard [ 1 Answers ]

I have msn wireless keyboard and mouse. Mouse works but keyboard does not. Computer recognizes keyboard in add wireless devices. I do not have a keyboard to add as normal as I have no way to enter passkey. Can I get keyboard readded/reinstalled without the use of a keyboard?

How do I disable the laptop keyboard when adding an external keyboard [ 2 Answers ]

My laptop keyboard is screwed up - tried to add an external through a usb port - bad keys on laptop keyboard take priority over external keyboard - tried to uninstall laptop keyboard, but system requests reboot to finish - after reboot system "finds" laptop keyboard and reinstalls - any ideas?

View more questions Search