Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    do_hall1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2016, 05:44 PM
    100 amp subpanel
    Hi I am installing a 100 amp 24 slot subpanel in an unattached garage 50 ft away and plan on running 4 wires from the main 200 amp panel in the house, do I use a 100 amp double pole breaker in the feed panel from the house or do I use a double 50 amp breaker?

Thanks
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 15, 2016, 07:35 AM
    That depends on the size wire your will be using. The breaker protects the wire not the panel.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 15, 2016, 02:50 PM
    A couple of other things:

1) Will the main panel accept a 100 amp breaker. You need to verify that.
    2) Did you size the load you need to service. 100 amp can support an small home.
    do_hall1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2016, 05:08 PM
    Thanks, yes I already put a 100 amp breaker in the main panel, and using 2/0 wire. It's actually like a small home 28 x 40 1 1/2 story with small kitchen a full bathroom and heated floors so there will be two hot water heaters and two garage door openers and of course receipts and lights
    Artie62 Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Oct 15, 2016, 09:18 PM
    Depends on the wiring and load. Water heaters pull a lot of amps. Either way you get the same protection since the 50's are bridged. Just use the best quality breakers and a good ground source.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 15, 2016, 09:50 PM
    Assuming 2/O UF aluminum cable a double 115 breaker is maximum, using conduit and 2/O THHN aluminum wire, 145 double breaker is maximum.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 17, 2016, 01:15 PM
    You are aware that the secondary panelboard in the garage needs to have its own grounding system. The Neutral bus cannot be bounded to the secondary panelboard.

That means you need to install a primary and secondary ground rods to ground the panelboard to. Because the garage is a remote structure it has to have its own grounding and bonding system.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2016, 08:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Artie62 View Post
    Depends on the wiring and load. Water heaters pull a lot of amps. Either way you get the same protection since the 50's are bridged. Just use the best quality breakers and a good ground source.
    That is completely incorrect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overhead from a 100 amp service panel to a 100 amp subpanel in a garage. [ 6 Answers ]

An Electrician friend said I could use #4 copper for the (2)120 volt legs and a conventional Suspension wire as the nuetral. The overhead span is about 35 feet and the overall run From panel to panel is about 70 feet.The supply outlet said to use #2 copper. Also, what type wire for sunlight...

Can I run a 50 amp subpanel if a 100 amp main if so what size wire [ 1 Answers ]

Can I run a 50 amp subpanel from a 100 amp main and if so what size wire

100 amp subpanel [ 1 Answers ]

I see I need to supply moe info, underground from house to pole barn, with mostly 120 volt circuits. Possible 240 volt for air compressor. That why 100 amp panel will do the job. As what to use conduit or direct burial cable not sure yet, depends on price.

100 amp subpanel [ 1 Answers ]

I am connecting a 100 amp subpanel from my main panel on my home to be used in my new garage that is 155 feet from the house. The main panel is a 200 amp combo box on the outside of my house that supplies a 200 amp panel inside my house. I have been told that I may use mobile home feeder 2-2-2-4...

100 Amp Subpanel from 200 Amp main panel [ 2 Answers ]

I want to install a subpanel to be used to supply branch circuits to a new kitchen, laundry, garage, and some additional lighting and receptacles. The 200 amp main panel is about 50 ft away but because of the obstructions, we'll need about 85 feet of cable to connect the 100 amp subpanel. Since...

View more questions Search