Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mstgraham Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2007, 08:50 AM
    Hp cd/dvd writer stops responding
    When I play a dvd everything is fine. When I put in a cd, it tries to start and then stops. How can I fix this. I am using a hp computer and windows xp.
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Apr 17, 2007, 11:16 AM
    What kind of cd? A blank? A pre-recorded one?

Apr 17, 2007, 06:55 PM
    Any kind. Cd's that I have made and Cd's that I have purchased. I don't think I have the IDE correct. But I have no clue how to fix it.

Apr 17, 2007, 08:07 PM
    Why do you believe you don't have the IDE correct? Did you unplug it? If it was reversed, then even the dvd shouldn't play as the drive should be unrecognized.

The IDE ribbon cable will have a colored stripe on one side, usually red. This denotes pin 1.

Match pin 1 of the cable with the pin 1 on the hard drive interface. It should be the side towards the power connector.

Apr 17, 2007, 08:13 PM
    I have read so many things on the internet I thought that may be it. I haven't changed anything with the ribbon so I guess that's not it. I went to the device manager and uninstalled it and restarted my computer. It said found new hardware. First dvd and then the cd rom. I got all excited and put the cd in and it did the same thing. The light starts to blink and it sounds like it is trying to start but then it just quits. Im so frustrated. I do appreciate your help! Please don't give up on me!
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Apr 17, 2007, 08:20 PM
    Ever do the custom windows update and check for new drivers? [HP updates also] -- Savage

Apr 17, 2007, 08:27 PM
    Yes I do all the time! In fact, I did it today and it said no updates. Any other suggestions?
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Apr 18, 2007, 02:36 AM
    Try rolling back to a earlier driver then -- Savage
    Start /all program/ PC help and tools/compaq app. Recovery /driver restore

Apr 18, 2007, 04:26 AM
    I did a complete system restore back to original settings and since then I have had this problem. So, I have no restore point when it did work properly.

Apr 18, 2007, 07:45 AM
    So you have a dvd drive and a cd rom drive? Are cds unrecognized on both? Or just one of them?

If you have two optical drives, they are probably on the same IDE cable. Disconnect the cdrom drive from the IDE cable. Reboot the PC, and try again.

The other solution is to install the suspect drive on another computer, maybe a friend's PC, etc. This will determine if the drive is at fault. May be time for a new one.:)

Apr 18, 2007, 09:42 AM
    I have one drive that reads both. I put the dvd in and a box opens and asks me what I want to do (basically which program I want to use to play the dvd.) It used to ask me the same thing when I put cd's in but as the light begins flashing like its going to open, then it just quits. So in response to your answer, No, I only have one drive that reads both.
    HP cd/dvd rom 740b.

Do you think I should still try what you recommended enlight of the new info?
    SURENDAR99 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Apr 28, 2009, 06:41 AM
    My suggestion is just un-plug your dvd drive and re-install your operating system. And then plug your dvd drive and make sure you will not install the drivers for you dvd drive let your computer check it and install the in build drivers for a dvd drive in windows xp or higher.

And after this process ends once restart your computer and you will find your dvd drive plays dvd's as well as cd's also it is supported to play them :)

note : Never install any drivers for you dvd drive in future it will help your drive to work properly and smoothly. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Media player stops responding [ 2 Answers ]

Whenever I load a video from the internet/play one from my PC it'll start the video then freeze and continue playing sound but media player will be 'not responding'. When I 'end now' the PC either freezes completely or everything freezes apart from I can still move the mouse about, although...

DVD writer [ 3 Answers ]

Please, I am shopping for a notebook : Siemens Fujitsu amilo pro edition V2020, 60 Gb HDD, 512 Mb Ram. The optical drive is DVD writer with double layer protection. Does this mean that it won't write CD's?? If it will, how would I know the writing speed for DVD and CD? Second question: is the...

DVD Writer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I have a DVD Writer that can read dvd's but my problem is when I want to burn to it. It does not see the DVD-R (blank) in it. It's an HP 300n DVD/CD-RW. I updated the drivers and I reinstalled. The connection to the motherboard I believe are like a normal cd-rom.(power cable and the cable...

DVD writer [ 2 Answers ]

I'm planning to purchase a DVD Writer, can someone tell me what do I need to consider when I want to buy one. I want to know how much a dvd burner can burn on a DVD-rw. I was told that a 4.7G CD can only be burned to 4.4G capacity. Is it true?

View more questions Search