Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Allen Farber Posts: 191, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2016, 06:51 AM
    What is a dependent contractor?
    I looked at the definition of dependent contractor "a contractor that is economically reliant is one principal" what does this mean? By principal, do they mean the head of the company? And if so, wouldn't that just be an employee.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 11, 2016, 11:05 AM
    The term "principal" here means "client." And I think what you meant to write is that a dependent contractor is one "that is economically reliant on one principal." This means that as a contractor the majority of your business comes from a single client, and that the client dictates certain aspects of how you deliver your services. For example they may dictate hours that you work, or that you wear a company uniform, or what tools you use. Often a dependent contractor will have no hard end-date in his/her contract.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I have student visa with my dependent for UK, can my dependent work full time [ 1 Answers ]

I have student visa with my dependent for UK, can my dependent work full time?

Dependent filing with husband as dependent [ 1 Answers ]

I am from India temporarily working in US on a H1-B visa. My husband had visited me last years for around 2 months here. Otherwise he works in India. 1. Can I do a joint filing with him being my dependent since he was as good as a dependent while he was in US? 2. Also he isn't here presently...

Can you claim a dependent even if the dependent files [ 2 Answers ]

My son is twenty seven. He lived with us from Nov. 08 to July 09. He didn't have a job during those months. He found a job in Aug. 09 and worked until Dec.09. He got laid off. Will we be able to claim him as a dependent even if he files??

H1-B Contractor [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am currently on a H1-B visa as a contractor for a company. Close to 17% of my wages is currently being deducted as Federal Income Tax. I think I should be taxed as a regular employee since I work for them. I would appreciate it if anyone can Shed some light on tax status of Contractors...

Sub-contractor / CONTRACTOR liability [ 1 Answers ]

We Had Flooring Installed In Our Home. The Company Who We Bought The Flooring Promised The Flooring To Be Glued Down. Instead Their Sub-contracted Foreign Installers Drilled Through The Concrete. Water Is Now Shooting Up Through The Holes Like A Fountain. The Company Told Us That The Damage...

View more questions Search