Ask
    jamesbondero Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2016, 01:51 AM
    My work van got stolen from 24 hour walmart can I sue
    I went to walmart to shop early Saturday morning at 24 hr walmart
    After I finished shopping I noticed my headlights weren't working
    I caught a cab home ,the next day I went to solve my no headlight problem
    And noticed it was stolen
    I noticed there is a security guard driving around harassing the wrong people
    Thers security guard riding around all day everyday my work van was stolen with all my personal belongings important papers,5 -8,000 worth of tools and personal effects
    Is it possile for me to sue ,I have no clothes no money none of my important personal documents this situation totally wiped me out
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 11, 2016, 02:27 AM
    What is the cause of action against Walmart, exactly ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 11, 2016, 02:36 AM
    There is no implied warranty against theft in the parking lot, even if the lot is patrolled and/or covered by video. I doubt if you can prove Walmart negligent.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 11, 2016, 03:49 AM
    Are you sure your truck wasn't towed. In my neck of the woods there is a posted sign on privately owned parking lots that vehicles left over night will be towed at owner's expense. Check the impound lots; ask in Walmart if it was indeed ordered removed by their security.

If you valued your property inside the van, and a van, then if you couldn't fix it, should have had to towed to your residence where it would have been safely stored. The fault is not Walmart's fault but your own negligence.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 11, 2016, 05:00 AM
    Tickle has a good point about it being towed. Did you file a police report?

Did you inform Walmart security that you were forced to leave the van?

Walmart sells headlight bulbs. Did you try replacing them?

Sounds like you were more negligent than Walmart.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Oct 11, 2016, 05:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbondero View Post
    I went to walmart to shop early Saturday morning at 24 hr walmart
    After I finished shopping I noticed my headlights weren't working
    I caught a cab home ,the next day I went to solve my no headlight problem
    And noticed it was stolen
    I noticed there is a security guard driving around harassing the wrong people
    Thers security guard riding around all day everyday my work van was stolen with all my personal belongings important papers,5 -8,000 worth of tools and personal effects
    Is it possile for me to sue ,I have no clothes no money none of my important personal documents this situation totally wiped me out
    1. How long ago did this happen?
    2. How long were you away from the van? The "next day" could be Saturday at daybreak or later or Sunday.
    3. Did you notify Walmart after you found the vehicle missing? If so, what did they say?
    4. How would Walmart know that anyone taking the van was not the owner/user of the van?
    5. Has the van been recovered?

Not only would you have to prove Walmart negligent, but you would also have to prove your damages. I am not certain a judge would believe that all of your personal belongings were in the vehicle when you also have a home.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 11, 2016, 05:47 AM
    Clearly first thing is to file a police report, and then call your insurance company. And you should also talk with Walmart security - perhaps they have a security video tape that would show what happened to your van. As for a law suit: it's highly unlikely that you would get anything - you would need to show that Walmart was somehow negligent. You don't pay for parking at Walmart, so there is no contract where they have ensured the security of your vehicle.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2016, 05:50 AM
    I agree with everyone, this is on you, not Walmart. Assuming it wasn't impounded, call your insurance company and inform them of the theft and give them the theft report, assuming it was insured for it. Walmart isn't responsible for this.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 11, 2016, 03:37 PM
    I agree with everyone else. Walmart is not responsible for this theft. They cannot and do no guarantee that your vehicle is safe when left in their parking lot even if there is a security guard that patrols the lot.

Definitely talk to Walmart and find out if perhaps your vehicle was towed. You would then be responsible for the towing fees and the cost to get your vehicle out of impound. Also, file a police report.

As for suing Walmart, you won't win. If you want to waste your money pursuing this course of action you can, but it would be a waste of money.

Good luck.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2016, 06:11 AM
    Hello James:

I HATE Walmart.. Sue 'em. Small Claims court is cheap, quick and easy.

excon
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 14, 2016, 03:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello James:

I HATE Walmart.. Sue 'em. Small Claims court is cheap, quick and easy.

excon
    Exy, it is cheap, quick and easy, but spending money on a case you can't win, even if it is cheap, is still money thrown away, and this poster has already lost enough.

Hating Walmart isn't enough reason to sue them, especially when they're not culpable for the loss you incurred.

Also, small claims has a cap on how much you can sue for, in many places it's $3000-$5000, and it sounds like the OP lost a lot more than that if all his worldly possessions where in this van, which is what he stated.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2016, 04:49 PM
    Hi Alty,

You're right, of course. I have been admonished.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 14, 2016, 06:53 PM
    No you can not sue them for your choice of leaving a van in a parking lot all night.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you sue walmart for taking 25 of my stolen checks [ 3 Answers ]

I had approximately 25 checks stole from me all used at walmart several over 500.00 and never not once did they ask for an id .Maybe if they would have ask for an id they would have seen that it wasn't me .Can I sue them

Can I sue WalMart? [ 7 Answers ]

I walked into the store and bumped into this lady's arm. Her husband then shoved me and ended up fractionating my lumbar. Wal mart did nothing to help. I had to call the police and then not one employee stopped to help me. I had to go to the hospital and now can't walk

Can I sue walmart? [ 8 Answers ]

We took our car to walmart to get 2 new tires, one had a screw in it... 2 weeks later another flat tire on the same back passenger tire, same weird screw and in the same spot on tire. We feel as though it is in fact the same tire. When we reached out the lady said that she was watching the video...

I stolen from walmart something about 600$, it's my first time [ 2 Answers ]

I stolen from walmart something about 600$, it's my first time, but I'm not a USA citizen... what's gone happen... I'm really sorry and really scared.

View more questions Search