Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FleaBailey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2016, 04:52 AM
    After DUI #3 in Va. What's required to restore valid license?
    A friend of mine got his 3rd DUI in Virginia in 10 years, about two years ago. They say you can apply for a license after three years, but I know there are all kinds of surprises when it comes down to the moment of truth at DMV. Of course he'll have to do the VASAP class , VASAP education, the ignition interlock, pay all his fines, meet with his probation officer but what other requirements might he be not doing now that may come back and cause difficulties for him when it comes down to getting his driving privilege restored? I heard from someone once that one must show sobriety for two years, but how would they prove that? As it is now , he has to call in on a regular schedule and an automated machine reads his voice print to see if he's 'flown the coop'. FYI the substance that caused the violations were different for each DUI. 1st was pot, 2nd was .11 bac beer, 3rd was legally prescribed meds. I know some answers will come back, "Talk to the case worker at VASAP" and of course "Talk to DMV". I know those two branches seldom say the same thing, nor do they know for sure what is required, so one often feels like a shuttle cock driving back and forth between the two.
    In answers to this inquiry please feel free to voice any and all stumbling blocks there may be to make the transition back to independence something for my friend to put on his 'to-do-list'. We live in a rural setting with no public transportation within 60 miles. Friends and family are his only option to provide food and necessities, and he feels bad to have to impose. Even the closest convenience store is a two mile journey. He's paid his debt and learned his lesson, so no criticisms of his past crimes are needed.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 9, 2016, 05:27 AM
    How is it that your friend is not here asking himself? . And as I oppose drinking and driving, I hope he never gets his license back if this is number 3, and I don't care how many years it took to get to number 3. The point is, he must still be a drinker or that would not have happened. Option is, of course, to move back into a town where he can access convenience. Proving he is abstaining is done by testing for any kind of substance abuse and he would probably have to agree to that, but then he would have to travel to be tested at any assigned time.

By the way, you don't get to call the shots on what any one posts here. So be prepared for some things you don't want to read, including mine above.

In Ontario, no one who drinks and drives would have a chance to get to DUI number three. They just lose their privileges permanently, and driving a car is a privilege.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 9, 2016, 06:00 AM
    ... I know some answers will come back, "Talk to the case worker at VASAP" and of course "Talk to DMV". I know those two branches seldom say the same thing ...
    Then he should talk to both of them, and do everything that each says. And get it in writing (or at least he should make note of the person who he talked to). I assume VASAP is some sort of DUI-related agency, but one would assume that the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) is the primary agency for getting his license back; so I would talk to the DMV first.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 9, 2016, 07:17 AM
    Not every case is the same. If he does not have a lawyer helping with this, he will really have more trouble.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2016, 10:14 AM
    Last thing anyone should count on is "what they say". The court that convicted them should have dictated how long they would have lost their license when the judge found them guilty. Someone with three DUI convictions... I would be surprised if it was less than 5 years after the last conviction after what I have seen and heard in Virginia traffic courts. If they didn't spend at least a year in prison for this I would be very surprised as well. I have seen many that got a one year sentence on their first conviction. The state of Virginia as well as many of the people here take this subject very, very seriously.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Work in California required to have CA license. Live in AZ and told to get AZ license [ 2 Answers ]

I work in Needles Ca. as a driver. California says work there you need a CA license. I live in Arizona and they say I have to have Arizona License. But I will lose my job, so got Ca. License with my real AZ address and got a ticket for it in AZ. What do I do If I have a valid California drivers...

Applying for a valid CA license after moving across state [ 5 Answers ]

I am confused as the process of switching from a MA state license to a CA state license. I am 25 and I really thought the process would involve me filling out an application, proving my identity and that is all. In stead I ended up having to take a written test again (which I have failed for the...

Is Driver's License valid [ 2 Answers ]

To see if my license iz valid or not

Getting my license back after a DUI. [ 3 Answers ]

Hey. Okay, so march 2007 (when I was 19) I was driving drunk and crashed into a wall on the freeway. No one else was included in all this. I was caught and the cops did that sobriety test and of course... I failed. I ended up getting a lawyer and he got everything dismissed, but my license...

License after 3rd dui [ 1 Answers ]

Can I get my license back after a 3rd dui. It's been 10 years.If not can I get a restricted lic For work.

View more questions Search