Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hpelke02 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2016, 07:36 PM
    Does Timekeeping software have to record actual time worked?
    My employer requires employees to clock in on a time keeping system. The system does not record the exact time the employee arrives or departs. If we arrive and start working at 8:54 am it clocks us in at our scheduled shift start time of 9 am. If we depart at 5:05 it clocks us out at our scheduled shift end time of 5 pm. A few minutes before and after shift don't seem like a big deal but it adds up over time. I know rounding is permissible if the rounding averages out but since this time keeping software has been implemented all the employees are losing a few minutes here and there both before and after shift.

The solution given to us is that if the situation described above occurs we are to notify the person in charge of scheduling via email. This would require every single employee to email this person twice a day every day as we never start exactly at the scheduled shift time or get out exactly at the end of a shift. We are required to perform work activities in order to be ready to open and close our places of work every day. We are scheduled for our shifts to end at the same time the building is supposed to close so there is at least 5 minutes of extra work spent doing closing procedures and locking up. My question is-is it legal for the system to log us in and out at the scheduled shift times instead of when we actually arrive and depart from work and also is their solution of having us email every instance this happens OK? I thought it was the employers responsibility to keep accurate records of time worked?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 9, 2016, 01:54 AM
    What you described occurs the same the world over and is the accepted norm.
    You are required to be at you allocated work station by a specific time for operations to begin.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 9, 2016, 02:14 AM
    First, the legalities of this vary depending on where you are located. But it certainly is a common occurrence. Especially the clock in. When employees clock in do they immediately go to their station and start working? Generally, an employee clocks in then takes a couple of minutes to get to their work station and start working.

Similarly, at the end of the shift, they stop working, put themselves together and then clock out as they leave the building.

When I originally wrote our timeclock software, I built in the same provision. As long as the worker clocked in or out within 6 minutes of their scheduled time, it defaulted to the scheduled time. More than 6 minutes and it recorded the actual time.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 9, 2016, 07:19 AM
    This is normal, You must clock in before the start time and clock out, after the quit time. This can be a minute to 5 or 6 minutes depending on time to the clock, and so on. This is the normal.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2016, 10:28 AM
    As someone who has at times in the last 37 years had to clock in and out at serveral different employers... You don't get paid from the time clock, you get paid by your schedule... you however may be docked pay based on the time clock for late clock in or early clock out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How I can find the record of fifty software supplying websites to submit software? [ 0 Answers ]

I have recently started working as an seo expert on a site. I have finished some Directory Submission projects. Today I've got a project to submit software on over 50 software related site. I was beginning software associated site on Google. But all efforts are in vain. If someone knows how I can...

I lived and worked part-time in Florida approximately 9 or 10 months [ 1 Answers ]

I was not deducted any state or local taxes from my employer do I need to file a state tax return

What's the Purpose of Having a Difference Between Actual Time, Civil Twilight, Etc. [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, All! What's the purpose of having a difference between Actual Time, Civil Twilight, Nautical Twilight and Astronomical Twilight times, please? The current readings for where I'm located are below. Thanks!

I am now living in Switzerland and have an old 401K plan from a time when I worked th [ 1 Answers ]

I am now living in Switerland and have an old 401k plan from the time I was working in the USA under an L2 Visa. I am a UK citercen and now for tax purposes a Swiss resident. I have completed a W 8 BEN form and this is lodged with my 401Kplan supplier. I would like now to transfer or roll...

Whirlpool quiet partner I worked three time power but will not work Help? [ 0 Answers ]

Whilepool Quiet I worked great three time now ill not do anything. H ave checke power, switch and all have power. Help

View more questions Search