Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ronrulesworld46 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2016, 06:38 AM
    Old roman silver coin value
    I found an old roman silver coin with an eagle on back. What is it worth?
    Attached Images

tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 6, 2016, 09:39 AM
    I don't think we have any numismastists here. Google some who may help you but they would want to see the coin. Where did you find it ?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 6, 2016, 10:29 AM
    That's a shekel of Tyre, used as temple tax. You will see many just like yours online, along with the stories. The writing is Greek. But Rome did occupy Israel.
    https://israel-tourguide.info/tag/shekel/

If it's real, it's worth low thousands, perhaps.
    But it's not worn down on either side, so it looks like a copy for the tourist trade (complete with copied shaved edges), usually silver plate, not solid silver, in which case it might be worth up to $20.

Even though I wouldn't get your hopes up, ANY coin you show to a dealer, do not let it leave your sight, even below the edge of a counter, and do not sell it on the spot.
    A jeweler can tell you if it's solid silver or plate.
    (2,000 years ago they were 90% first and then 80%)

Oct 6, 2016, 02:17 PM
    The one in the pic is what I matched it up with. Mine is a lot more worn. I will try and add a pic

Oct 6, 2016, 02:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    That's a shekel of Tyre, used as temple tax. You will see many just like yours online, along with the stories. The writing is Greek. But Rome did occupy Israel.
    https://israel-tourguide.info/tag/shekel/

If it's real, it's worth low thousands, perhaps.
    But it's not worn down on either side, so it looks like a copy for the tourist trade (complete with copied shaved edges), usually silver plate, not solid silver, in which case it might be worth up to $20.

Even though I wouldn't get your hopes up, ANY coin you show to a dealer, do not let it leave your sight, even below the edge of a counter, and do not sell it on the spot.
    A jeweler can tell you if it's solid silver or plate.
    (2,000 years ago they were 90% first and then 80%)
    Name:  20161005_085444_1.jpeg
Views: 99
Size:  464.8 KBName:  20161005_085421_1.jpeg
Views: 91
Size:  219.5 KBName:  20161005_085444_1.jpeg
Views: 99
Size:  464.8 KBName:  20161005_085421_1.jpeg
Views: 91
Size:  219.5 KB
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 6, 2016, 02:47 PM
    You have the temerity to go online and ask what a coin is worth, by posting a picture that isn't your coin????
    I'm sorry I bothered.

Oct 6, 2016, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    You have the temerity to go online and ask what a coin is worth, by posting a picture that isn't your coin????
    I didn't have the coin on me when I found this site to ask the question no need to trash talk but I posted pics of the one I have. Relax...
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2016, 07:17 PM
    The first one you posted is most likely a tourist piece. Even if silver you can't tell if it is real or a repro. They are all over Rome, I have a very similar one, cast in Pewter. What is the second, a T-Rex?

Oct 6, 2016, 07:30 PM
    Lol turn it to the left a little it's an eagle.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Found Roman Silver Coin- What's the value? [ 19 Answers ]

Should I even bother to find out? I found what looks like a Roman Silver coin. It is the size of a quarter. It is worn on its edges and not completely round in shape. There is a picture of what looks like Cesear or Greek looking man, on the front and a bird on the back that looks like a falcon....

US silver coin certtificate of 1923/ raised a mortgage on gold and silver treasury [ 1 Answers ]

I saw silver coin certificates of 1923. On it sys, Face Value: One Hundred Million The Certificate Raised a Mortgage on Gold Silver Treasury Jade Ware Valid Forever At Sight Pay To The Bearer.Is this real?

Silver coin certificate of 1928 [ 1 Answers ]

I have this silver coin Certificate,but I am not sure how much it worth today. Is there anyone know the value? The face number: A99953351A with blue stamp at left. 1 million dollar If anyone is interested,maybe give me your email,I can email you,and please help me to verified how much it...

Silver Coin Certificate of 1923 [ 8 Answers ]

A friend from Philippines found a silver coin certificate of 1923 1 million dollars face value, how much is it worth and where/how can trade it?

View more questions Search