Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 4, 2016, 01:12 PM
    Time for a bit of fun.
    We need a little fun to lighten the mood so I'm starting this thread and a sort of game to go with it.

I'll get to the "game" in a minute, but want to add that general chit chat is also allowed.

So, for the "game", I'm being inspired by an email I received the other day from my daughters school. Apparently on snap chat there's a new thing teens are doing. They pick a person on snap chat and then insult them, say mean things about them, tease them about an attribute they don't like, and everyone joins in. It's a game to them. The email sent to me was sent to every parent in the school. The school is talking to all the kids about this, and about how harmful this sort of thing is. Thankfully my daughter already knows not to get involved in this sort of thing, and she's not the kind of kid that would do this, also she's not allowed on snap chat, but the fact that this is going on is very unsettling.

So, in light of that, I propose we do the exact opposite. Pick a person on this site, it can be anyone, and then write something nice about them, something you like about them, something that will boost them up. Try to be as specific to that person as you can be. Now I realize that a lot of the new people won't really know anyone on this site, so read some threads or posts to get an idea of who that person is, pick out the things you like, and write.

Let's be a positive example to all the teens out there, and adults too, and show them what social networking should be about, and show them that it's a lot better to boost someone up than to push someone down.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 4, 2016, 01:22 PM
    There are PLENTY of people here I like, so I almost don't want to pick on just one (to like, of course).
    So I'll choose the one I enjoyed most recently - hkstroud.
    He wrote the best little treatise on well water pumps I've ever seen, not that I'd seen any before, but it was well written, with numbered paragraphs, it covered everything I didn't know, which is almost everything, and given that I have a water pump, I was glad to see it.
    The OP never came back to thank him or anything, so I did.

I like ALL the guys in the building trades.

I like everybody here. Even when we have knock down drag out fights. What kind of family tiptoes around each other?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 4, 2016, 03:29 PM
    Maybe what we need is a rule change. You had said that the teens were ganging up with put downs. It appears your looking for the opposite. If so then 1 person should be nominated by someone and we all can gush over them until the next person is chosen.

If that is something that sounds good then lets try that.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 4, 2016, 04:20 PM
    Wouldn't it make more sense for the students at Alty's daughter's school to do this and spin the bullying into cheers for each other? Our doing it won't make a hill-of-beans difference. As joy said, we're a family on this site and usually get along well with each other.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 5, 2016, 05:16 AM
    We have a wonderful community of very knowledgeable people in their chosen appointments. I have had many many likes over the years and it is hard to pinpoint one only. Even if I could, I would not know enough about their personality to give occolades as I am not exactly a social butterfly here and stay in the background mostly as I like it.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 5, 2016, 12:57 PM
    Maybe I should suggest that all the students at Sydney's school join AMHD and then praise each other here. :)

Cdad, I like your suggestion to nominate one person and then have everyone say something nice about them. How about a daily nomination?

Since you suggested it, I nominate Cdad.

What can I say about Cdad. He's forever trying to keep me safe online, even when I don't listen to his very good advice. He's always there to offer comforting words when I'm upset about something and vent about it to all of you. He gives wonderful advice to the posters and he's always very patient even when they're driving the rest of us crazy. Personally, whenever I have a computer issue and need help, he's always there to offer advice, and dumb it down so that I can understand. He never laughs at me about my lack of computer skills.

I am so happy to call him a friend.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 5, 2016, 02:09 PM
    Thank you Alty, I would like to nominate J9 for tomorrow. I will check back to post.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Game time. Come one come all. Let's have some fun [ 55 Answers ]

The mission, should you choose to accept it, is to play the game to the finish, that the first person started. It will have a beginning and an end. The last person, the one that finishes the game, gets to choose the next game. It too will have to have a beginning and an end, not something...

Ok, I'm in a bit of a time crunch, I need my 14 yr olds probation transferred [ 2 Answers ]

About 2 months ago my son pulled a pocket knife on his dad, he was charged with a 2nd degree felony assault. Put on probation finally plead guilty with a stay of judication for 6 months no same or similar etc then it would Erase off the record. In the mean time we planned on moving to North...

How about a bit of fun. [ 7 Answers ]

Post who the father of your child is... Click below to find out :D Free Online Pregnancy Test You little Fabio-stalking vixen! Admit it- the only way this could happen is if you tripped him and beat him to the floor. Congratulations on your cat-like reflexes. I couldn't do anything to...

View more questions Search