Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rumman_bd Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2016, 12:57 PM
    Proper thickness of different copper items normally used in Electric switch and socke
    When I open the plastic casing of electric switch and socket normally used in household like (250 V AC 16 A Switch , 250 V AC 13 A Socket) then I found different shaped copper bar. Copper rod, copper sheet. Shape of these items are not uniform so area is different. So for a certain voltage and current how can I calculate the proper thickness as well as the copper grade. For a cable diameter is uniform and in web there are lots of information how to calculate the diameter of wire but for these copper items I did not found any good reference where I can study.
    Thanks in advance and sorry for this stupid question
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 4, 2016, 02:23 PM
    From the references you've found that tell you how to calculate the diameter of copper wire for a given current, you can set the cross-sectional area of that diameter wire to the required cross-section of the rectangular switch element, assuming the element is made from copper. But in general the metal pieces inside a switch or electric socket are not pure copper because it's too soft. Instead they are typically made of copper alloys such as brass or phosphur bronze. So, you need to increase the cross-section from the above calculation by a factor equal to ratio of the conductivity of copper to the conductivity of the metal you are using in your design.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1/2 copper, proper distance between hangers? [ 5 Answers ]

How far apart do 1/2 copper pipes need to be supported on straight runs?

Proper copper pipe soldering technique [ 3 Answers ]

What is the proper technique for copper pipe soldering. I do not see anything about deburring that the IRC code requires. I have seen on a welding site that soldering should be wiped clean to remove residual flux but that the pipe should be sufficiently cooled first otherwise the joint could cool...

Proper fasteners for copper pipe straps [ 8 Answers ]

When mounting sweated copper pipe to wood framing using copper pipe straps, what type of fastener should be used? I have always been confused about what causes the galvanic reaction between copper and steel. Are drywall screws OK to use? Thanks much for the advise. TWC

View more questions Search