Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sabradon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2007, 07:24 AM
    Lawmower Just Quits Running restarts after an hour
    I have a Craftsman 42" riding mower with a Kohler engine. It runs great for about 20-30 minutes then quits as if it ran out of gas. I have cleaned the tank, fuel lines, replaced the fuel filter, the air filter, replaced the oil/filter, spark plug, battery, checked all the wring. It will turn over but not start, so it doesn't indicate a safety switch issue. If it sets for 45 minutes to an 1 hour it restarts, runs fine for another 20-30 minutes and does it again. What could I have overlooked?
    bikerguy Posts: 87, Reputation: 13

Apr 15, 2007, 07:48 AM
    The Lubrication! Could be overheating, change oil and filter, fill to PROPER levels. Possibly its just cooling off and then working OK? Just a thought...
    Thomas Mills Posts: 31, Reputation: 7

Apr 15, 2007, 03:09 PM
    It sounds like a vapor lock. Check the fuel line to see if it is touching any hot part of the engine. Try to stick the fuel line up away from any hot spots. Thomas
    Astupar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2007, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabradon
    I have a Craftsman 42" riding mower with a Kohler engine. It runs great for about 20-30 minutes then quits as if it ran out of gas. I have cleaned the tank, fuel lines, replaced the fuel filter, the air filter, replaced the oil/filter, spark plug, battery, checked all the wring. It will turn over but not start, so it doesn't indicate a safety switch issue. If it sets for 45 minutes to an 1 hour it restarts, runs fine for another 20-30 minutes and does it again. What could I have overlooked?
    I have the same problem, and I've yet to solve it. I just started it it for the first time yesterday and now it dies after about 5 minutes. I let it sit overnight and it statred right up this morning, then died 5 minutes later.

I've cleaned the carb, checked all wiring... nothing seems to help. DId oil change and filter work for you. I didn't think of that?
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Apr 22, 2007, 11:34 PM
    Is the battery fully charged? The fuel cut solenoid under carburetor will fail under low volt situations.

Don
    Thomas Mills Posts: 31, Reputation: 7

Apr 23, 2007, 07:15 PM
    Good answer Newaukumdon. Thomas
    Sabradon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 02:19 AM
    It was the spark plug wire. I replaced the "ignition module", (spark plug wire with coil attached) that mounts at the magneto. Runs like a new one. Thanks for everyone's input
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Apr 24, 2007, 09:02 AM
    Very good, it must be a relief to have found the problem without just replacing all the parts..

Don
    lawntractor horn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2007, 01:32 PM
    I wanted to add that I had the same problem as Sabradon on the same lawn tractor and it was fixed by replacing the ignition module... I had also gone through the same routine he described... thanks to Sabradon as I did this as a result of his post on this website... my local lawn and garden store was clueless and told me I was likely at the end of the tractor's life (10 years) and the problem probably was due to something or other having to do with compression... I think he just wanted to sell a new tractorl. This website saved me a lot of money and agravation... thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer restarts by itself and does not open deskstop [ 5 Answers ]

I have a desktop computer and have Windows XP professional. When I start my computer it starts OK and as soon as it goes to window opening page and it seems like it is processing but after a while it reboots again, without getting the Desktop window. It happens again and again. I do not know,...

Bath tub shower spout & head running water running at same time [ 1 Answers ]

I started with a slight dripping problem(sayko system).i decided to replace all 3 stem assemblies together as they all were about 18 years old.after reassembling the new stems(danko brand),turned on the water supply & checked faucets.hot & cold worked fine but when the shower was turned on,water...

1988 Chevy quits running [ 1 Answers ]

We have a 1988 Chevy cavalier 4 cyl TBI. It starts right up then quits. I have removed the cover from the TBI and watched the injector it squirts good fuel when cranking and starting when you release the key to run it quits injecting fuel. The engine runs on the fuel still in the manifold then...

Window Xo restarts itself [ 1 Answers ]

:oi am using win98 and win xp together. Win98 on C drive and win xp on D drive. For few days when I open win xp it starts and then computer closes and restarts automatically. This time it says that the computer was not closed properly and option of safe mode, start previous configuration and...

Desktop goes black and restarts by itself [ 2 Answers ]

My Gateway computer, Pent II 350 Mhz is acting strangely. When booting, it looks ready for me to proceed -- but then the mouse is frozen and when I move the mouse the screen goes black and goes to Restart. It takes 2 or 3 tries to succeed. Sometimes it does this when working in email or on the...

View more questions Search