Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skimask63 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2016, 09:27 AM
    Motion to Claim Exempt Property in NC
    I'm in NC and received a Notice to Have Exemptions Designated because of a Judgement. I am trying to fill out the Motion to Claim Exempt Property and read somewhere that I can exempt up to 60 days of wages to care for my family but I don't see anywhere on the form to fill that exemption.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 30, 2016, 12:59 PM
    Wages are usually taken through a writ of garnishment served on the employer. There is a federal statute which only allows 25% (or less) of your paycheck to be garnished. There may also be a more liberal exemption under state law.

So you probably don't have to designate wages as being exempt. The idea is that you are unlikely to have 60 days of wages in the bank or in cash. It is more likely that you spend your wages as you get them.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 30, 2016, 04:22 PM
    Wages are not property. The form you have appears to deal with property. Your home, cars, other real property.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you claim pre-tax medical when you claim exempt [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am paying about 750.00 per month in medical premiums alone. My employer takes these premiums on a pre-taxed basis - however, I claimed exempt for most of the year so there was no pre-taxed benefit. Can I deduct the premiums on my tax return for the portion I paid while I was exempt?

Need help filling out motion to claim exempt property form [ 1 Answers ]

Have this form that I need to fill out by Friday.can't afford a lawyer, don't have funds to pay to even speak to one.. I don't understand what to claim and where it goes on the form.. got caught in a scam to make money as a part time job , but the money was taken and I received nothing but a motion...

Income exempt from tax and claim of tuition cost [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a citizen from China. Now, I am preparing my tax form. There are two questions: 1) If I am filing my tax form with my husband who is a U.S. citizen, could we still claim 5000 tax income exempt based on Treaty Exempt Income between China and U.S. Since my husband is a U.S....

View more questions Search