Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tdfam2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2016, 06:13 PM
    My pressure tank is not filling up with water
    I just installed a new submersible pump in my aerator tank. I had checked the air pressure in the pressure tank and it was 35 psi. I have a 30-50 pressure switch. After turning power on the pump turns on but then turns off quickly after pressure has only risen to about 40psi. When using faucets etc. and pressure drops pump starts to turn on and off again quickly. I feel there is no water coming from pressure tank. When I try and lift pressure tank it is very light. Anyone have an idea why water is not going into tank? Thanks
    tdfam2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2016, 06:50 PM
    Water in pressure tank
    I disconnected my pressure tank and there is still water inside. How do I get it out? Does this mean tank is bad?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 29, 2016, 09:38 PM
    I just installed a new submersible pump in my aerator tank. I had checked the air pressure in the pressure tank and it was 35 psi. I have a 30-50 pressure switch. After turning power on the pump turns on but then turns off quickly after pressure has only risen to about 40psi. When using faucets etc. and pressure drops pump starts to turn on and off again quickly. I feel there is no water coming from pressure tank. When I try and lift pressure tank it is very light. Anyone have an idea why water is not going into tank? Thanks
    I am totally confused. In your first post which I have copied above, you said that you installed a submersible pump in your aerator tank.

What is an aerator tank? And why would you put a pump in it?

You also said the tank is very light.

Now you say in your second post that there is water in the tank and ask how do you get it out.

I don't know what you are doing but I think there are some things you need to know. Now this is going to be long but if I can take the time to key it in, you can take the time to read it.

1. Well switches are adjustable. The most common settings are 30-50 and 40-60. You say you have a 30-50 switch. That just means the switch is or is suppose to be set to come on at 30 and go off at 50. If you had a 40-60 switch it would be the same switch, just set to come on at 40 and go off at 60. Perhaps your switch is not set properly.

2. There are two types of tanks. There are pressure tanks and there are bladder tanks. The true pressure tank is just a sealed tank, empty except for the air in it. Pressure tanks are galvanized to prevent rust. A bladder tank has a rubber bladder inside. Since the water is pumped into the bladder there is not need to galvanize it. Bladder tanks are always painted.

3. It helps to know how a pressure tank works in order to understand what is happening with your bladder tank.

4. As stated a pressure tank is just an empty, sealed, galvanized tank. When water is pumped into it it compresses the air trapped inside. You also need to know that you cannot compress water. You can only compress air. When you fill this sealed tank to approximately 1/3 water (2/3 air) the compressed air will provide 40 lbs of pressure on the water. When filled to approximately 2/3 water and 1/3 air the compressed air will provide 60 lbs. of pressure on the water. This is where the 40-60 pressures come form.
    All this would be just wonderful except for one thing. Water absorbs air, especially air under pressure. That means that as you use this tank the water keeps absorbing the air. That means that you have to fill the tank with more water to reach the 40 lbs. cut on pressure and since there is less air you reach the 60 lbs. cut off pressure quicker. Eventually using the smallest amount of water causes the pressure to drop to the 40 lbs. cut on pressure and pumping in the smallest amount of water causes the pressure to jump to the 60lbs cut off pressure. This is known as being "water logged" and causes the pump to "short cycle". When this happen you have to empty the tank, let more air in and start over.

5. Someone invented the bladder tank. This is just a steel or fiberglass tank with a rubber bladder in side. The water is pumped into the bladder. As the bladder expands it compressed the air between it and the tank. Having the bladder prevents the water from absorbing the air. Having the bladder also lets you put additional air in the tank. By putting additional air in the tank you reach the minimum cut on pressure sooner. You don't have to use 1/3 of the tank volume to reach the minimum pressure. Usually only takes a few gallons. The air pressure of a empty bladder tank should be 2 lbs. less than the cut on pressure of the well switch. This is call the pre-charge pressure. With the pre-charge pressure properly set to 2 lbs. less than the cut on pressure, the pump will come on just before you run out of water. So the bladder tank functions just like the pressure tank except you can add additional air and the bladder prevents the air being absorbed by the water.

The problem with bladder tanks is that the bladder can rupture. When that happens it begins to function just like a pressure tank. Eventually the air in the tank is absorbed by the water and the pump begins to short cycle.

With all this in mind tell us what you have, what you are doing and why.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 29, 2016, 09:55 PM
    See your other post.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 30, 2016, 04:13 AM
    THIS is one of the best parts about this site! Thanks for this well written information, hkstroud.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2016, 06:54 AM
    I just installed a new submersible pump in my aerator tank.
    So this aerator tank is part of a filter system?
    I had checked the air pressure in the pressure tank and it was 35 psi. I have a 30-50 pressure switch
    Pressure in the tank should be set to 28#, not 35#.
    After turning power on the pump turns on but then turns off quickly after pressure has only risen to about 40psi. When using faucets etc. and pressure drops pump starts to turn on and off again quickly.
    Set the tank pressure correctly and see if that helps. Also be aware that there is a "breaking in" period for a new tank, assuming this is a bladder tank. Takes a few weeks for the air under the bladder to be taken care of.

I feel there is no water coming from pressure tank. When I try and lift pressure tank it is very light. Anyone have an idea why water is not going into tank?
    Again, set the tank pressure correctly and give it a few weeks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Well Water Pressure tank not filling [ 2 Answers ]

My pressure tank is 4yrs old. It had been filling up and shutting off fine until last night. I noticed that the well pump was running but no water was entering (filling) the pressure tank? Water would bypass the tank and feed the pipes in the house with good pressure. What could it be?

Water tank not filling up pressure [ 1 Answers ]

The water tank in the loft is not filling up and the hot water is not vcoming out. I have opened the top and looked at the ball cock and pushed it and lifeted and no change. Rang BGAS services and they can not come out till Monday morning

Pressure tank for the well not filling with water but we have water in the house. [ 2 Answers ]

WE have well water in our house. One day there was no water. My husband flipped the breaker and then the water started working again. But we noticed the pressure tank is not filling with water. Someone suggested we change the pressure switch, which we did. Still no water in the tank. Can...

Well water pressure tank not filling completely. [ 2 Answers ]

I had my pump replaced last week and had no problems until Sunday. I have a galvanized pressure tank. The pressure tank does not fill before the pump shuts off, it basically empties and then the pump comes on. I end up with air in the lines.

New pressure tank not filling with water [ 1 Answers ]

I installed a new submersible pump and a new 80 gallon pressure tank. Checked the pump out before hooking everything up and seems to be working fine. Hooked up the new pressure tank using the T with the pressure gauge on the left(facing the tank) and a pressure gauge on the right in the 1/4 inch...

View more questions Search