Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kate11361 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2016, 08:57 AM
    My toilet makes a noise like it's running a few times an hour.
    Recently, I've been hearing my toilet randomly sound like it's running. Sound lasts for 10 seconds or so and I see water dripping into bowl. I figure something needs to be changed? Is that something I can do?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2016, 10:41 AM
    Probably a bad flapper. Open the tank and put some red food coloring in the tank. If the bowl turns pink after a couple of minutes, the flapper is leaking. You didn't say what type of toilet and flappers can be specific, so make sure to get the right replacement. Check back if you need more help.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2016, 11:21 AM
    I agree with Ma0641 that you may have a bad flapper valve, If you don't have food coloring close the angle valve under the toilet tank remove the toilet tank lid mark the water level gave some time and check if the water is below the mark it indicates that flapper is bad, good luck.

John
    kate11361 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2016, 12:17 PM
    Can I fix my toilet myself?
    My toilet randomly makes the sound of water running. It lasts for about 10 seconds, during which time water runs into the bowl, then stops. I feel like this is an easy fix but need an expert opinion. Thanks!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 26, 2016, 12:19 PM
    ... and don't go to Home Depot and buy the Universal Flapper if you have a Kohler toilet! The Kohler flappers are different, and for me, were way high on another shelf where I never saw them til I made another really long trip back to the store. GRRR
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 26, 2016, 12:31 PM
    Please don't start multiple threads on the same question. I've merged your threads.

The symptoms you describe indicate that the flapper seal isn't sealing properly, causing the tank to empty slowly. When the tank empties the float drops below the fill level. When that happens, the tank refills. Hence the noise you are hearing.

You should be able to replace the flapper yourself, depending on what the inside of the tank looks like. Take a picture of the inside of the tank and attach to a post here so we can help further.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 26, 2016, 02:12 PM
    remove the toilet tank lid mark the water level
    Hi John,
    That's to complicated for me and too much work.

I just hold the float down until the water flows over the overflow pipe.
    Come back later. If the water is not still at the top of the overflow I have a leaking flapper. I don't even have to turn off the stop valve.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2016, 02:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    ... and don't go to Home Depot and buy the Universal Flapper if you have a Kohler toilet! The Kohler flappers are different, and for me, were way high on another shelf where I never saw them til I made another really long trip back to the store. GRRR
    Same for some Mansfield, American Standard and others. That's why you take the old one unless you are sure. PS, I made the same Kohler mistake.
    Mike45plus Posts: 230, Reputation: 27

Sep 27, 2016, 04:03 AM
    An incorrectly connected refill tube can cause siphoning and short cycling...
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2016, 04:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike45plus View Post
    An incorrectly connected refill tube can cause siphoning and short cycling...
    Good point Mike45plus, check for correct placement of refill tube while the lid is off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My toilet makes noise after flushing, however, no vibration, just noise. [ 7 Answers ]

My toilet makes a high pitched noise after being flushed. I don't have the ballcock type valve, and there is no vibration, only noise that stops after the toilet has filled.

Whirlpool Furnace makes clicking noise when running. Help? [ 0 Answers ]

The furnace turns on, then the burners make a clicking noise and flame goes on and off for a while then the whole furnace shuts off

What makes the blower motor stay running at al times? [ 2 Answers ]

What causes the blower motor on my furnace stay running?

Can I continue running my unit when it makes noise when it comes on [ 1 Answers ]

Can I continue running my unit when it makes noise when it comes on, what would cause it to do that

PVC vs ABS which makes less noise when water is running through it [ 2 Answers ]

Iam trying to find out which pipe makes less noise when water is running through it PVC or ABS pipe.

View more questions Search