Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    olphoss66 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2016, 05:58 AM
    Judgments
    Can my boss tell me I am being anitsocial when I can't or unable to attend a work social event
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 26, 2016, 06:04 AM
    Of course. It doesn't fall under the set of civil rights (in most countries, don't know where you live) that shouldn't be violated in the workplace, regarding things like race.

All that matters is what the consequences might be if you don't go. Are there any?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 26, 2016, 07:02 AM
    Stick and stones may break my bones, but words will never harm me.

While I don't completely agree with that sentiment, it does mean that your boss can voice his opinion about your actions. He can certainly say he thinks you are being anti-social, by not attending. What he can't do is take some action against you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 26, 2016, 06:09 PM
    Yes, most real career advancement comes often from social events. While not required, it is often deemed important
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2016, 06:10 PM
    Huge grey area here... unlikely you will get fired for this specifically... BUT it will cast your career in a negative light... while social events might not technically be Mandatory, in many jobs this is part of team building... and it will make you appear to not be a team player. True or not... sometimes appearance is what matters most. And if you are an At-Will employee... they can pick any number or reasons to get rid of you eventually if they see you as not fitting in with the group.

Most peoples excuse for "not being able" to attend are actually "not wanting to attend". Enough that's what is assumed when its not a one time event.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

n.c. judgments [ 1 Answers ]

I won a judgment in N.C. from my renter; however, N.C. does not allow for bank or job garnishments. How do I get my money?

Judgments against me [ 3 Answers ]

Bank of America filed a judgement against me for $29k, can they collect from any county in California? Or just in the county where the lien is filed? I have no real property in the county the judgement was filed. I do have real property in Texas & Oregon are these properties in jeopardy?

Judgments and bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

If a judgment is rendered against me, does that allow garnishment of wages or unemployment compensation? What are, generally rules surrounding what may be kept in one's household goods, vehicles, etc. when seeking bankruptcy?

Judgments [ 2 Answers ]

If a judgment is ordered against me. What will the repercussions be? Such as a lean against my property, garnishment or taking money out of my bank acount and how long will this occur

Judgments against me in Florida [ 1 Answers ]

I have a creditor that has hired a lawyer to come after me for monies owed. I explained I am filing bankruptcy but have not been able to file as I need to pay the balance to the attorney before he will file it. The creditors lawyer said that they will get a judgment against me. When he does obtain...

View more questions Search