Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DanPatrick10 Posts: 134, Reputation: 5

Sep 24, 2016, 06:16 PM
    85 300ZX Turbo Stalls-Idles Rough
    Picked up another Turbo Z. No rust on the body, but it has a few issues that need to be taken care of.

Aside from needing a new rack and pinion, the engine idles rough and stalls when the engine is cold. If you allow the engine to run and reach normal operating temperature, it runs fine.

I know it's not the ECU because I took it and plugged it into an 84 Turbo which ran fine with the 85 ECU.

I didn't bother to run the ECU codes because they have been unreliable in the past. For example, they would give codes that you'd expect from an engine that was running normally.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2016, 07:27 AM
    Replacing the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor should solve the problem.

Sep 25, 2016, 12:48 PM
    Hi Tx,

Are you referring to the Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor (CHTS) Nissan Part No. 22630-01P01? That's the only sensor on these cars I know of that may cause such an issue.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2016, 05:43 PM
    ECT Sensors have a NTC thermistor inside, which deliver a richer fuel/air mixture at start-up and a leaner mixture at normal operating temperature. That may be the part. They usually go into the block and are surrounded with coolant.

Sep 25, 2016, 06:44 PM
    That makes sense. It does smell like it's running a bit rich when it's cold. I can smell fuel and once it reaches normal operating temp. the smell of fuel seems to subside.

The part you're referring to is actually listed as the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Nissan Part No. 22630-01P01 on www.nissanpartsdeal.com. Therefore, it appears that would be the correct name for it. Z31 guys like to call it the Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor, but I believe it's the same part.

I think it is bolted into the block above the water pump and to the right of the thermostat on the Z31. I am including the link to the parts website which shows an exploded view of the engine and the location of the part.

22630-01P01 - Nissan Parts Deal

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1985 Nissan 300ZX Turbo Running Rough [ 3 Answers ]

OK, I've had this car for 5 years and it always ran great. Did regular oil change and tune-ups. The car began running rough a few months ago and has also been difficult to start, so I got it a tune-up and a new battery but the problems still exist. First, it's hard to start when cold. I've got...

Car starts idles rough stalls or won't start? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 95 sunfire gt and the check engine ligh is on and it starts up then idles rough then stalls or doesn't start at all or when I give it gas it goes up to 2000-2500 rmps then bogs out then idles rough again but if I do get it running then it goes for like 5seconds then bogs and sputters and...

88' Chevy 1500 Stalls on sharp turns and idles rough. [ 1 Answers ]

I have an 88' Chevy 1500 truck. Lately it has idled low and kind of rough/noisy. It stalls whenever you turn the truck sharp either direction. Any ideas? It almost sounds to me like it is getting surges of power rather than a continuous equal amounts of power. Could these things be connected?...

85 300ZX Turbo-Do I need an alternator? [ 2 Answers ]

Last week all my idiot lights came on while driving my 300ZX. They go out when I am at a full stop. I had the charging system checked at a Shuck's(Part's America) store. The instrument they used measured a 12.42 charge, but it stated that the "diode ripple" was not detected. I am still able...

1985 300ZX Turbo Running Rough at Idle [ 3 Answers ]

I've had my 300ZX for almost 5 years and it has never given me any trouble. I change the oil every 2500 miles, use the proper(NGK) plugs, clean the filtercharger, and had the fuel injection service performed. Turbocharger was rebuilt around 65k and exhaust system was redone around the same time....

View more questions Search