Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sos07 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2016, 11:33 AM
    Worth refinancing house to save $40/month?
    Hi, I've lived in a townhouse for 6 years and our current mortgage interest rate is 4.12% in CA. My real estate agent called to say the mortgage 30-yr fixed interest rate is 3.27% He said if we refinance for 24 yrs, we would save about $40 each month, and $40,00 over the next 3 yrs.

Since we re-financed 2 yrs ago, is it a good idea to re-fiance and go through the hassle of doing all the loan paperwork again?

Thank You so much
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 24, 2016, 01:18 PM
    Suggest that you compute the .87% interest rate reduction times the principle owed to determine the annual interest reduction. Compare that number to the cost of refinancing (loan origination and other fees charged by the bank) to see how long it will take you to break even.
    Then use the actual annual interest reduction times your federal and state income tax rate to compute your increase in taxes. Since home mortgage interest is a deduction reducing the interest paid is just like getting a raise. That number will be your actual annual savings.

Then consider how long you are likely to live in this home. Chances of living in the same home for 24 years is very small for most people.

It is unlikely that a .87% interest rate reduction will be profitable to you, but it will be for the real estate agent.

You said,

He said if we refinance for 24 yrs, we would save about $40 each month, and $40,00 over the next 3 yrs.
    I believe you meant $4,000 over the next 3 years. $40 a month is $480 per year and $1440 over 3 years. Got to work those numbers yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Refinancing a house [ 6 Answers ]

I purchased my house in January of 2009 and got an interest rate of 5.25% which was the best at the time. I was wondering what the rates were at today? Also, how do I go about refinancing or how is the best way to do so? Thanks in advance!

Refinancing a house [ 3 Answers ]

I have owned our home for 13 yrs. I refianced 2 yrs ago because I needed money. Countrywide bought the note. Home is in Arkansas my wife and I work in Okla. Without us realizing it, we changed our status from occuping the home to it being considered a second home. Our house was broken into years...

Divorce w/Bankruptcy. Can I get her name off the house without refinancing? [ 3 Answers ]

Ok my wife and I are currently filing chapter 7 bankruptcy, and planning a dissolution of the marriage. The house is in both of our names, is there any way to remove her name from the deed/mortgage (with her consent) without refinancing? If not, what are the odds of being able to get the...

Bankruptcy w/Divorce Can I get her name off the house without refinancing? [ 1 Answers ]

Ok my wife and I are currently filing chapter 7 bankruptcy, and planning a dissolution of the marriage. The house is in both of our names, is there any way to remove her name from the deed/mortgage (with her consent) without refinancing? If not, what are the odds of being able to get the...

Name on house title without refinancing [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter and boyfriend purchased a house in Montana they are living in. The house is titled in his name only. They are not married except by common-law. Is there any way possible to get my daughters name placed on the title without refinancing the existing loan and incuring closing cost and with...

View more questions Search