Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mwjones Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2016, 09:58 AM
    Toilet clog backing up into tub
    Should a clogged toilet where the clog is deep enough to cause sewage to back up into the adjacent tub be classified as a soft clog under any circumstances? I had such a clog and could not clear it myself. My landlord called out a plumber to fix and is now charging me $400 stating it was a "soft clog".
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 23, 2016, 12:33 PM
    Just for your information.
    A toilet drains into the main stack through what is called a toilet arm. A large bent pipe. Bath tubs drain into the main stack or into the toilet arm. When a blockage occurs after the point which the bath tub connects, water from the toilet will back up into the tub because the bottom of the tub is lower than the toilet bowl.

In general terms a "hard" clog or blockage is when the pipes are completely stopped up and no water will pass. A "soft" clog or blockage is when there is a blockage but water will slowly pass through over time.

In your case it is immaterial whether it was a hard blockage or a soft blockage. The main drain was blocked.

You should review your lease. It probably specifies that you are responsible for all blocked drainage pipes. Plumbers usually charge by how long it takes to clear the blockage. The further away and the more snake he has to put out the more he charges.

Remember,
    "Never put anything down the toilet you haven't eaten first."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub and toilet backing up [ 1 Answers ]

My toilet and tub both baking up we have tried plunging and the wax ring gave out so we replaced that got the 50 foot snake and snaked the roof vent put every thing back together (ran the hose water in the hole first)everything seemed fine and it all started overflowing as soon as we went to use it...

Toilet backing up into tub and tub bubbles in toilet [ 1 Answers ]

We have a 30 year old septic system that started acting up after we had it pumped the last time. The drains in the rest of the house work, but the toilet and tub do not. When we flush the toilet, it backs up into the tub and when we run water in the tub, it forces air into the toilet and...

Toilet backing into tub [ 1 Answers ]

When I drain the bathtub my toilet bubbles and then the tub will drain very slowly. During the time the tub is draining the toilet will not flush. Please Help.

Toilet backing up in the tub. Why is this? [ 2 Answers ]

Why is my toilet backing up in the tub and not flushing?

View more questions Search