Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Braedynla Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2016, 08:09 AM
    Heat in basement
    Good morning,
    I live in Montana and the summer after we moved into our rental property we discovered that the gas stove that heats our basement had a leak inside the stove. I advised my landlord of this and her reply was "it is not worth fixing" and she gave us a small portable electric heater that is supposed to heat up to 1000 feet. However, last winter it did not keep the basement (where our bedroom and family room is) very warm. This winter is predicted to be even colder than the last and I am wondering does she have to fix or replace the gas stove in the basement with something other than a small electric heater?

Thank you
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 23, 2016, 04:40 PM
    Laws go by state, and generally require a certain temperature be maintainable during the winter. Check Montana.gov for landlord/tenant laws. Buy a cheap thermometer.
    KIND of heat and source is not something you will find in the law.
    I own my own home and have 3 little 200 watt heaters ($15 each for most of them) for use when I'm in the bathroom, at my desk, or in the kitchen. That's in addition to a warm air furnace.
    A small 800 watt - 1200 watt heater is about $35. I have one and haven't used it yet. We have very high electric rates here.

Find one or two that you like online and ask the landlady if you can take them out of the rent.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 24, 2016, 07:29 AM
    As Joypulv indicated, it depends on the law of your state. But unless you have a lease the landlord probably doesn't have to upgrade it to a better heater. Next time your lease comes up for renewal, refuse to renew unless they provide heat to your satisfaction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to heat a basement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 600 sf basement and have had 2 frozen pipe problems over the past several years.. I intend to make this a heated basement.. and want a heating solution that can both heat the space as a living space and provide a minimum amount of heat when I'm not there to prevent freezing pipes... Can...

Heat in basement [ 2 Answers ]

We put new rug and drop ceiling in our basement this winter. Usually during the summer our basement is the coolest place to be. We are now finding it is stifling hot down there all the time. What could be causing this? We pull in cool air from the outside with fans through our bulkhead but the...

Basement heat vents [ 3 Answers ]

I am finishing my basement and want to add heat registers. The furnace is in the basement with the duct work overhead. I want to put registers near the exterior walls in the basement ceiling. Can I cut registers into the same ducts that take the heat upstairs or will this take away too much air...

Electric heat in the basement [ 2 Answers ]

I will start with a simple(I hope) question: I would like auxiliary heat in some basement rooms downstairs we are finishing. I am considering flush-mounted (in the wall cavity) fan driven (as opposed to convection or radiant) wall heaters, probably 1000W per room. All else being equal, is...

Need heat in the basement [ 3 Answers ]

Got a quick question about heating our basement. We currently have no registers in the basement but do have the ducting for the rest of the house in running through the ceiling of the basement. Would it be possible (or advisable) to just cut a couple of holes in the ductwork and screw in a...

View more questions Search