Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rdk626 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2016, 07:26 AM
    Right grade
    My son ttends a gifted and talented school. In the school year 2014-2015, he was very sick and missed a lot of school. He attended summer school and passed.Because he goes to a gifted school they didn't put him in his right grade. If he was to attend a regular school he would be put in his regular grade. I believe he is capable to master the correct work level . His peers are graduating this year and he feels left out and upset because its not due to grades.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2016, 07:43 AM
    Capable of and actually doing are different things. Before he can move to another grade where it is allowed... he has to prove he has already mastered the material required up to that grade by means of testing. People fail and are held behind all the time due to a number of reasons. Some have trouble grasping the material, some miss too much class and as a result don't make the required grades or fail to meet the required attendance standards.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 23, 2016, 07:46 AM
    I don't actually understand what your question is, unless you are asking us what you should do to get him in his correct level. Should you not be inquiring at his school regarding this ? As smoothy stated, testing would be required but you would have to arrange that.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 23, 2016, 07:50 AM
    Did you ask that he be tested? Did you request course work for him to do while your son was absent? How would this school know if he would have passed his courses if there was no contact, or arrangement during his absence?
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Sep 23, 2016, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rdk626 View Post
    My son ttends a gifted and talented school. In the school year 2014-2015, he was very sick and missed a lot of school. He attended summer school and passed.Because he goes to a gifted school they didn't put him in his right grade. If he was to attend a regular school he would be put in his regular grade. I believe he is capable to master the correct work level . His peers are graduating this year and he feels left out and upset because its not due to grades.
    2014-2015 school year or 2015-2016 school year? Students are currently in (or are starting) the 2016-2017 school year.

When did he go to summer school? 2015 or 2016? Was the Summer school for gifted students? Was the Summer School's work as advanced as the "gifted and talented" school's curriculum? What are the requirements for staying in the school? Most gifted programs have strict rules that have to be followed for a student to stay active in the program. Did your son meet those requirements? Were requirements waived for your son to stay in the school after his grades dropped?

If he was held back during the 2015-2016 school year because of the previous year's grades, did you ask for a review of his work at that time?

You might ask for him to be tested. They may let him test out of his current grade. However, there is the possibility that he is currently where he needs to be.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 23, 2016, 07:46 PM
    So when you meet with his teachers and the principal (head master) how did you ask for him to be put in the grade you think he needed to be in?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Sep 24, 2016, 01:38 PM
    If it is a public school, there are a certain number of attendance days required to enter the next grade. If a child is too ill to attend school, we offer home health education, as do most school districts. Any child not promoted to the next grade must meet with the teacher and administration to discuss the options. If your child did not complete the coursework, or meet the minimum attendance days to promote, you should have been notified. Even after attending a summer program, your child did not promote to the next grade. So, if you knew your child was going to be retained at the gifted and talented school, why didn't you move him to the regular public school so he could graduate with his peers? By allowing him to continue at the same grade level, this means you are in agreement with their decision. If you didn't agree, were you offered a meeting at the district level to discuss it with the superintendent?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lens for grade 3 and grade 4 in diabetic person wch lens best [ 2 Answers ]

I hv diabeticssince 2 yrs I hv grade 3 cataract in left eye and grade 4 in right eye I want to which type of lens are best for me wch company and were I cn get it done near andgeri I'm 58 yrs of age

7th grade to 9th grade? [ 6 Answers ]

I am just about to graduate from 7th grade and go on to 8th, but I was kind of held back from going to school when I was supposed to because I was just a few days off the deadline. I was wondering if I can get to where I need to be and go straight to ninth grade, but I don't know how to or even if...

4-Day Low Grade Fever is Now a High Grade Fever (103.5) [ 4 Answers ]

My husband has had a low grade fever (99-101) for 4 days and it jumped from a low grade fever to high fever (103.5) within an hour. He has been getting fluids (Powerade Zero) and taking Advil every 6-8 hours for the last 3 days. The Advil appears to lower his temperature slightly. He complains of...

Can I skip my child to 6 grade to be in her right grade [ 2 Answers ]

My child work very hard she and the fourth grade need to be and fifth she feeling sad that next year she want be and six grade I do to. Can she go to summer school and skip a grade

I'm 15 and I'm going to 8th grade , I don't want to do 8th grade I want to skip to 9th [ 11 Answers ]

I stayed back in 4th grade and 5th grade , now I'm becoming a 8th grader , I'm really ready for high school even though my grades are a little low , can you help me shoud I move to a other country so they could skip me?

View more questions Search