Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lisa1471 Posts: 181, Reputation: 1
    -

Sep 22, 2016, 06:47 PM
    If I win a lawsuit
    After winning a lawsuit if the person I sued don't pay can I levy there account for $900.Waiting for thos person to pay its almost a month since court.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2016, 06:58 PM
    There(sic) account? What account? What does it say in the court document?
    -

Sep 22, 2016, 07:07 PM
    This person is ordered pay for vet bills because dog fight with two other dogs.She have pay $900 ordered by court almost a month.its up to me to collect money but she's not paying.im garnishing her wages
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 23, 2016, 03:32 AM
    Levying a bank account and garnishing wages are two different things. Wage garnishment is limited to 25% or possibly less.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2016, 04:31 AM
    Winning and collecting are two very different things. Winning is the easy part. If they have little or nothing and if they play games, work for cash, don't keep a bank account.. you can go through several writs before an opportunity arises.

Friend of mine won a substantial case against a dunk driver... took over 30 years before he was able to collect a dime... and even then it was a fraction of the award, and that was from the guys estate when he died.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2016, 05:12 AM
    Did they have homeowners insurance?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 23, 2016, 06:10 PM
    As you are learning winning a lawsuit and collecting the award are two different things. I would venture to say that more than half of small lawsuits go uncollected.

Once the court rules in your favor, the next steps are up to you. YOU have find the loser's assets, their bank accounts, their home, their job, etc. Then you go back to the court and ask for a writ to attach the asset. For example a writ of garnishment to garnish their salary or a writ of attachment to attach a bank account. Once the court issues such a writ its up to you to serve it on the employer or the bank or whatever.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 23, 2016, 07:42 PM
    Depending on the person and where their income comes for, what state you live in.
    You may be able to go back to court and get a order to attach their bank account. Assuming they have any money in the bank.

And a garnish of their wages (if they work)

But honestly most people never collect the money they win in court.
    -

Sep 24, 2016, 06:01 AM
    Why did it take sp long? Couldn't put a levy on his bank account?
    Or get them garnish wages

Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Winning and collecting are two very different things. Winning is the easy part. If they have little or nothing and if they play games, work for cash, don't keep a bank account.. you can go through several writs before an opportunity arises.

Friend of mine won a substantial case against a dunk driver... took over 30 years before he was able to collect a dime... and even then it was a fraction of the award, and that was from the guys estate when he died.
    Why is that they don't collect money they win?
    I thought I can get crom person bank account plsim and simple.I don't know where or if there is a bank account or job but courts can find out I think right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Depending on the person and where their income comes for, what state you live in.
    You may be able to go back to court and get a order to attach their bank account. Assuming they have any money in the bank.

no way I thought court did all that though geeesh.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    As you are learning winning a lawsuit and collecting the award are two different things. I would venture to say that more than half of small lawsuits go uncollected.

Once the court rules in your favor, the next steps are up to you. YOU have find the loser's assets, their bank accounts, their home, their job, etc. Then you go back to the court and ask for a writ to attach the asset. For example a writ of garnishment to garnish their salary or a writ of attachment to attach a bank account. Once the court issues such a writ its up to you to serve it on the employer or the bank or whatever.
    Im asking could either be done

Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Levying a bank account and garnishing wages are two different things. Wage garnishment is limited to 25% or possibly less.
    [Nj rwill it be easy for this state?

Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post

[I don't know how could I fond out? I already sued though

Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Did they have homeowners insurance?

Sep 24, 2016, 06:14 AM
    It looks like someone tried merging your posts and it got mangled a bit. I tried to make some better sense of it.

no way I thought court did all that though geeesh.
    If you thought the court would help you collect the award you thought wrong. As I said, once the court rules its up to YOU to collect. The court will only help by issuing writs against assets, but ONLY if you can identify the assets.

Can you describe more of what happened? I'm gathering that your dog was attacked by another dog (or 2?). Where did this happen? Did the defendant show up in court? Were they properly served? Do you know where they live?
    -

Sep 26, 2016, 06:39 AM
    Yes across st.no insurance informed.Live w parent don't know if other person rent or own.Yes they showed up but I won.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    It looks like someone tried merging your posts and it got mangled a bit. I tried to make some better sense of it.
    Another dog involved but don't know owner.hidge still rule my favor.

If you thought the court would help you collect the award you thought wrong. As I said, once the court rules its up to YOU to collect. The court will only help by issuing writs against assets, but ONLY if you can identify the assets.

Can you describe more of what happened? I'm gathering that your dog was attacked by another dog (or 2?). Where did this happen? Did the defendant show up in court? Were they properly served? Do you know where they live?

Sep 26, 2016, 07:00 AM
    It would help if you typed in full sentences so we can understand you. This is not texting where you have to abbreviate or conserve words.

What does "yes across st." mean? Who lives with parent, the other dog owner or you? Do you have the person's address? It should have been in the court papers. In some courts, both the plaintiff and defendant are required to complete questionnaires with some personal info like address and employer. Did you have to do that? If so, did you request the court give you a copy of the other guy's info?

And you didn't answer my question about what happened. Please describe the incident that led to the suit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Installation issue with Win XP on Win 7 [ 0 Answers ]

Hello Buddies, I am having Win 7 computer and now I want to install XP on it and want to make it a dual boot. I shrunk my D: drive to install XP and rebooted my computer with XP disk. After all pre-installation checks done XP is detecting only C drive as its partition and it is not showing up...

Old hd Win xp to install in new putter Win 7 [ 1 Answers ]

New member- so thanks for any help. Old putter took a poop during a power outage. Six years old custom built, upgraded to the max. Was on second power pack and figured to old to fix again due again to another power outage. Anyway, saved the hard drive with window xp and all my files (I think). ...

How to remove win 7 and install win xp [ 7 Answers ]

I have a hp laptop with win 7. I want to remove win7 and install win xp. I tried booting form my xp cd but it shows no disk and have to abort installation. I don't want dual booting but just xp. So help me.

Seek philanthropist to assist with private financing. Win win situation [ 3 Answers ]

I seek a private philanthropist to assist me for real estate investing. I have prior experience. I seek a win win situation. I have perfect credit and live in a great part of USA.

Insurance lawsuit vs. Personal lawsuit [ 2 Answers ]

My parents recently are trying to work through an insurance settlement for a car accident involving my brother. He was injured. They hired lawyer to assist with the settlement. A sheriff brought a letter to the others involved stating my parents intent to sue. They had thought it was within...

View more questions Search