Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandy99999 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2016, 11:18 AM
    Difference b/w having Investment home title on 1.Wife & husband name Vs. 2.Just
    My husband brought an investment property in Texas and told me that he was putting both our names on the title. We live in a different state. He asked me NOT to come to closing and asked me to sign a notarized power of attorney so that he can sign on my behalf at the closing. The POA he took appointed him as my agent to deal with all the transactions regarding that house.
    I later realized that the title doesn’t have my name. I am trying to understand what he accomplished with this process. Can please explain the difference between the below three scenarios
    1. The Texas investment property has both our names on the title.
    2. The Texas investment property is just on my husband's name.
    3. The Texas investment property is just on my husband's name, and he got a POA signed and notarized from me that appoints him as my agent to deal with all the transactions.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2016, 11:28 AM
    Depends a lot on if you live in a community property state...the Property is in TX, but which do you live in.

It can be argued in any case that it was acquired DURING the marriage and you are entitled to half of it if it goes sour and a divorce happens in his name alone or not.

The POA only ALLOWS him to act on your behalf. It doesn't REQUIRE him do do so.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 17, 2016, 06:36 AM
    ... Can please explain the difference between the below three scenarios
    1. The Texas investment property has both our names on the title.
    2. The Texas investment property is just on my husband's name.
    3. The Texas investment property is just on my husband's name, and he got a POA signed and notarized from me that appoints him as my agent to deal with all the transactions.

There is probably no difference between #2 and #3. Find out from the closing agent whether the POA was presented and recorded. If I was recorded, you should record a revocation of it.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 17, 2016, 01:04 PM
    Also how was it titled? Was it listed as husband a married man ? Or was it in some other way? Most times there is a description in the title.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Movie title of boy & girl who are in love & in heaven waiting to be born [ 1 Answers ]

I seem to remember this movie starts with kids running around playing when a certain boy & girl are singled out. Some how lead to know that they are in love boyfriend/girlfriend. Then a man/angel comes in & calls the boy to let him know it is his turn to be born to parents on earth. So we figure...

Husband in NC & Wife in VA [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I got married in August 2009. I am living & working in Virginia & my husband lives/works in North Carolina. We have our separate apartments & expenses. After marriage I bought a car for him (the car loan is on my name but he is making the monthly payments) . Since this is the first year we...

Husband on H1 & Wife on OPT to H1 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Currently, I am on H1 and got married in 2008. My wife was on OPT from Jan 08 to Sep 08 and then changed her status to H1 from Oct 08. It will be the first tax return together :), so please help!!! 1) Which is better / simpler - filing jointly or separately? 2) If separately, which form...

If ones wife mentally tortures her husband & her in-laws what & how one should move [ 2 Answers ]

If ones wife mentally tortures her husband & her in-laws and one is keeping quite for the sake of child & social implications. Now how one should move??

View more questions Search