Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jess-Louise Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2016, 08:17 AM
    Help my cat won't stop peeing on my carpet
    I moved into my property almost 3 months ago with my boyfriend and my 4 year old female cat.

Since we have moved I have noticed that my cat has been peeing behind the back of my TV on the floor and other corners of the back living room.

I have tried moving her litter tray in a closer location and it stopped for a few days then she started again. I always make sure the tray is clean to.

I have recently taken her to the vets for a check up for this problem and they have said based on what information I have given them she has a water infection so he gave her a shot of antibiotics and gave me some pain killers to give her.

After 2 weeks of being seen she has carried on peeing outside of her litter tray, I have brought some urine destroyer that claims to prevent them going back to the same spot but this hasn't bothered her in the slightest as she's still up to her old tricks.

Me and my boyfriend are at our wits ends with her and he has said he wants her gone. I'd rather solve the problem myself so it doesn't have to come to that as I love her very much and I've had her since she was a kitten but if it ever had to come to that I am worried she won't be able to find a caring person who would put up with her peeing everywhere plus she is nervous around new people.

Some advice would be very much appreciated of what other options I can take to prevent this problem from reoccurring. Thanks for reading
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 16, 2016, 11:53 AM
    It's possible that the previous tenant had a cat who peed in the spots your cat pees on.
    Your cat is stressed by moving, and confused by the scent of another cat.
    I'm surprised that a vet would give out antibiotics and painkillers without testing for a UTI.

My solution:
    Confine your cat to an area no bigger than about 5 x 5 x 5' in the main living area. Buy or rent a cage if you can't make barriers.
    You don't have to buy special cat products. Just wash the spots with soap, and then use vinegar first, and then cheap cologne. Mostly you can't get rid of what has soaked in so you are covering it.

Sep 16, 2016, 01:14 PM
    What does the vet have to do to check for a uti? He checked her gums and temperature and had a feel around her stomach and said it felt like her bladder was swollen.

He said if it continues after 3 weeks after her visit that I'd have to bring her in again to have blood tests but said she was only young and doubted she would have anything wrong with her kidneys. It has already cost me an absolute fortune trying to find the route of the problem.

My next step is closing the room where she pees off from her to see if she tries to go elsewhere then I can rule out the previous tenants having a pet.

I am willing to persevere with her but the problem is my boyfriend is getting really mad at her and just wants to give her up to an adoption agency. I really don't want that to happen cause I love her dearly just thinking about it makes me want to cry.

She is an indoor cat as well and I feel really bad for making it that way but I was worried she would get hurt being let out, I wish I could start letting her out to have more freedom but I think it's a bit too late and she would be too scared.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 16, 2016, 01:49 PM
    Go to Home Depot tonight and get four 2 x 3's and a roll of chicken wire, cost maybe $20 total. Build a crate. (You will need a saw, wire cutters/aircraft shears, nails or screws, and staples.) Home Depot might cut the wood.

I would have done all this before going to the vet.
    The crate can go outside on good days, so make sure it can fit out the door. Maybe 3' x 5' x 4'

Sep 16, 2016, 01:58 PM
    Lol I am not good with these things, I have just put some tin foil around where she's been peeing because apparently they don't like the sound or feel of it, it has only been about a week ago since I took her to the vets and he said the antibiotics last for 3 weeks so maybe I should wait and see, thanks
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 16, 2016, 02:10 PM
    Is her litter the same as always? Or have you changed the brand?

Put a second litter box on the spot where she pees.

Please don't turn her into an indoors-outdoors cat. It won't stop the inappropriate urination, and she'll probably disappear/run away.

One of our cats had a swollen bladder and inappropriate urination caused by a stone (discovered in an x-ray). We had to feed her acidic cat food (which she ate) until the stone disappeared.

Sep 16, 2016, 02:37 PM
    Yes no changes to the type of litter I use, the vet did say if she was still doing it 3 weeks after the appointment I'd have to book her in for a blood test maybe that's something I need to consider

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stop this cat from peeing everywhere! [ 7 Answers ]

We bought my daughter a kitten for her birthday last August and this cat has done nothing but pee wherever it wants. We took it to the vet and were told there was some type of crystalization and blood in the urine. The vet explained it most likely hurt the cat to hold it in so it just went when...

How do I get cats to stop peeing on the carpet? [ 9 Answers ]

I am having challenges with my cats urinating on the carpet. I have tried several products on the market to remove the stains and orders. They help but the stains and smell still lingers. No matter how many times I clean where they soiled the carpet they continue to urinate usually in the same...

How do I stop my dog from peeing and pooping on the carpet? [ 1 Answers ]

Our 15 month old dog (Maltese / Yorkie mix) is pad-trained and has been gated to an area in the downstairs of our house. Prior to the last week, she was 100% at either using her pad or going outside. She recently started jumping the gate, and we decided to take it down so she would not get stuck on...

8 Month old Mini Dashund will not stop peeing on Carpet [ 12 Answers ]

I have a 8 month old miniature daschund, we love him to death, but we can’t seem to train him to pee outside. We use treats and praise when he goes, but find he can be outside 20 30 minutes, come back inside and within 5 minutes pee or poop on the carpet. This was hard enough, but now he is...

Cat started peeing on carpet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 12 year old persian cat, he has always used a litter tray but in the past couple of days has started to pee by the front door on the carpet. Yesterday when I let him out he used the neighbours front door mat to pee on. I know he is getting old but I do not understand why he is doing this...

View more questions Search