Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nise5280 Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Sep 15, 2016, 11:09 AM
    Need help introducing small dog into my 2-cat household please!
    I have 2 rescue cats in my household - both are kind of territorial (some days my house isn't big enough for the both of them) They have lived with us for 11 and 4 years. We are about to inherit a small chihuahua adult dog from my mother-in-law who just passed. She absolutely adores my husband, and presently lives in a house with several cats, having no issues with any of them. I am doing research now on the best way to get doggie settled into my house without either of my cats beating her up, or having a cat/dog war on our hands. I would appreciate any advice or process that works. I am really anxious about this going well -- I want harmony to remain in my house. She will be coming here to live soon. Thank you! Nise5280
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 15, 2016, 12:51 PM
    I suggest barriers that can be removed over time.
    A nice large crate/pen for the dog, with all the comforts of her old home in it. Put it near the center of your activity, and give her preference at night next to your bed, at least for a quite a while.
    Bring her out to the couch with you for patting and playing, but have a cardboard box right at your feet to put her in, or that she can jump in.
    Tossing treats to pets spaced apart often brings out good manners. As long as they stay in their spot, they get a treat tossed to them. If they spat, they don't.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Introducing a new cat to an existing cat [ 13 Answers ]

So, because of some advice from a previous post about my very independent (1 year old and female) cat, I (or should I say my husband and I) decided to get another cat (young cat). We found a very longing a playful female cat that we fell in love with (she's 9 months old). We have set her up with a...

Introducing a new cat [ 2 Answers ]

I have a male cat he is 1 yrs old, just recently got a female cat she is 1 and a half yrs old, both have been done, I've slowly been introducing them both but my male cat keeps hissing and growling at my new cat I'm worried that he will not accept her, have been doing this for a few days now and no...

Integrating new adult dog into 3 cat household [ 7 Answers ]

Hi All. We recently adopted a 3 year old black lab from our local SPCA after losing our 11 year old golden to cancer. We have no background information on her other than an estimated age. Our previous lab got along wonderfully with our cats. Phoebe (our new one) shows a serious interest in the...

Introducing a cat to a dog house? [ 9 Answers ]

Hello. I have a 70 pound, 17 month old Lab/American Bulldog. What does this have to do with cats, you ask? I am getting to it. :) Last night, a little cat may have tried to adopt us. We have had cats before - One died of cancer when she was 9 (my baby), and the other died when he was 19 from...

Introducing a dog into a cat household [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! I have two 9-year-old cats that have been with me all of their lives. I am in the process of adopting a dog, and am looking for advice about how to treat the cats. I'm prepared for how to protect the cats from the dog, but I'm concerned that my top cat is going to get her nose out of...

View more questions Search