Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

Sep 14, 2016, 12:51 PM
    Process Server...
    I'm 3rd Party to a Situation where the Process is about to be Started.. The Papers are being served from an Ontario Resident to someone in British Columbia.. The nearest Process Server to the Recipient is 120 km's away.. I'm told there is Mileage Charges figured in the Delivery.. Trying to get an idea of what the Cost to Have Papers Served could be is all.. Cheers Thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 14, 2016, 01:23 PM
    Which part of this do you want us to give an estimate on ? The mileage part, how much they charge per km ? NorPlan, you can get all of this info from the court system. Not exact, but estimate.

Sep 14, 2016, 02:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Which part of this do you want us to give an estimate on ? The mileage part, how much they charge per km ?
    Yes that Would be a Start, as I said I'm 3rd Party.. Somewhat Troubling since one has to start the Process at the Court Office, but yet the Courts have nothing to do with Serving Papers.. The nearest Server being Miles Away doesn't allow for asking the RCMP Detachment in the Recipients Town to Accommodate.. Beauty!
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 16, 2016, 05:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NorPlan View Post
    Yes that Would be a Start, as I said I'm 3rd Party.. Somewhat Troubling since one has to start the Process at the Court Office, but yet the Courts have nothing to do with Serving Papers.. The nearest Server being Miles Away doesn't allow for asking the RCMP Detachment in the Recipients Town to Accommodate.. Beauty!
    Why don't you ask the court office for the phone number of the RCMP detachment which will serve the papers, and then call that number and ask?

Sep 16, 2016, 06:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Why don't you ask the court office for the phone number of the RCMP detachment which will serve the papers, and then call that number and ask?

That's the Query, Why if you Start the Process by Filing the Papers at the County Court Office (Canada).. To Initiate the Process has Nothing to do with the Courts even though You've set Tentative Dates with the Courts, Baffiling.. An Independent Server will provide the Service with a Fee for This, a Fee for That, Plus Mileage to Deliver said Papers.. Plus Incidental Fees , All That with No Guarantee the Mission was Successful.. It's A Crap Shoot.. Beauty... btw... Pretty much renders the RCMP unable to assist..
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 16, 2016, 04:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NorPlan View Post
    ... All That with No Guarantee the Mission was Successful. ...
    It works the same way here in the US. Generally, you can get the police to serve process, but often private process servers will seem have more success getting the job done.

But as Tickle and I wrote before, your best bet is to ask what their rates are. Stands to reason that if it's 120 km away mileage will be pricey.

Sep 17, 2016, 05:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post

But as Tickle and I wrote before, your best bet is to ask what their rates are. Stands to reason that if it's 120 km away mileage will be pricey.

Thanks for the Comeback... The Delivery Charge is 0.90 cents a KM... ($213.00 Return).. It's the Incidentals ($$$) and No Guarantee it Can be Delivered... Definitely a Crap Shoot, Beauty...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is improper service by a process server? [ 2 Answers ]

I was not home when the process server came to the door. My downstairs neighbor let the server in and the server left the summons on my stairs. Is this being properly served?

Notice of entry with process server [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all. I have been going through the divorce process for some time now. The location of my soon to be ex husband is unknown. As such, I had to go the "service by publication" route. After paying over $1,300 and taking all of the necessary steps, my divorce judgment is days away from being...

Sheriff is the process server, do I have to meet him? [ 4 Answers ]

If the sheriff has contacted me and asked me to meet him so that he can serve me papers, can I get into trouble if I don't set up a meeting time? Can I legally get into trouble, as in arrested? This would be in King County, Washington

Can a process server get into trouble for lying? [ 9 Answers ]

The process server filed that he served me when I was at work. He placed the paperwork in my door.

View more questions Search