Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    I Am Abominatio Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2016, 11:56 AM
    Need help understanding COGS in indirect statement of cash flow
    EDIT: I had a friend help me with this and consider it resolved.

When figuring out your cash flow from operating activities using the indirect method, why don't we add cost of goods sold back to the net income amount?

I understand we start with net income and make adjustments to non cash expenses, because they didn't actually affect cash flow (for example, we add depreciation expense back to the net income amount, because no cash actually left the business), so why don't we add cost of goods sold back to net income as well?

It is a non cash expense, right? We may debit cash and credit sales revenue when we sell an item, but the related journal entry to debit cost of goods sold and credit inventory has nothing to do with cash or accounts receivable.

I asked my teacher and she said "We don't add back cost of goods sold because it's already included in the net income amount." which I don't understand either. How can it be included in the net income amount if it was already subtracted out to get net income? It's like saying "OK we have $500 in sales revenue, our ONLY expense was cost of goods sold for $200, therefore we have net income of $300." That $300 does not include the amount for cost of goods sold - it was subtracted out.

I mean, depreciation expense is the same thing. It's subtracted from revenues in order to calculate net income, but that is added back when doing statement of cash flow. And again, they're both non cash expenses... right? So what's the difference?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check out some similar questions!

Cash Flow Statement (indirect method) [ 1 Answers ]

Balance Sheet Dec 31/08 and 07 2008 2007 Cash 35000 62000 A/R 110000 93000 Inventory ...

Indirect Statement of cash flow [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me why firms prefer indirect method more than the direct method and if the information that appears on indirect method is helpful for the customers. Thanks

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.