Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2016, 02:26 PM
    Bathroom sink issue
    My son is was going to clean out the trap on his bathroom sink. Looks to me like the tailpiece broke. He would like to go with plastic, but not sure where to go from here. Suggestions?

BTW, the second pic is of another sink that is assembled and working in another bathroom. Thought it might be useful.

I'd flip the pics rightside up if I could figure out how.

Name:  IMG_1397.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  1.55 MBName:  IMG_1400.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  1.50 MBName:  IMG_1399.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  1.00 MBName:  IMG_1397.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  1.55 MBName:  IMG_1398.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  1.56 MB
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2016, 02:35 PM
    A couple of extra pics.

Attachment 48478Attachment 48479
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 5, 2016, 02:53 PM
    Plastic won't corrode. Would it be code in your son's area?
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2016, 02:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Plastic won't corrode. Would it be code in your son's area?
    It would be as far as I know. At this point he's open to anything that is an answer. I'm no plumber, but I've done a fair amount of work in that area. I've not seen anything quite like what he has.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 5, 2016, 03:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    It would be as far as I know. At this point he's open to anything that is an answer. I'm no plumber, but I've done a fair amount of work in that area. I've not seen anything quite like what he has.
    My husband replaced our bathroom sink metal pipes with plastic. So far, so good.
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2016, 03:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    My husband replaced our bathroom sink metal pipes with plastic. So far, so good.
    I'd love to use plastic as well, but can it be used with the existing brass fitting?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 5, 2016, 03:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    I'd love to use plastic as well, but can it be used with the existing brass fitting?
    Husband says it's a compression fit with the plastic. Be sure to take the parts to the hardware store to check size and fit.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2016, 04:24 PM
    I would also suggest a banded Fernco or Mission type coupler as an alternative.

https://www.fernco.com/img/products/plumbing/shielded-couplings/sc-strong-back-main.jpg

As long as it has proper banding, it is generally code safe, check for your specific area. The banding is to give it support over the years, and is generally stainless steel for corrosion resistance. They also come in reducers/expanders for differing pipe sizes.
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2016, 04:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by InfoJunkie4Life View Post
    I would also suggest a banded Fernco or Mission type coupler as an alternative.

https://www.fernco.com/img/products/...-back-main.jpg

As long as it has proper banding, it is generally code safe, check for your specific area. The banding is to give it support over the years, and is generally stainless steel for corrosion resistance. They also come in reducers/expanders for differing pipe sizes.
    I thought about that as well, but I don't think he has enough clearance at the top. It's only about a half inch or so to the old attachment for the drain "stopper" assembly.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 5, 2016, 06:00 PM
    Plastic should be fine, PVC. Everbilt 1-1/2 in. x 12 in. PVC Tailpiece Extension-C9793A - The Home Depot While he is at it the drain arm is broken. That little white ball is missing the piece that reaches inside and moves the stopper.
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2016, 06:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Plastic should be fine, PVC. Everbilt 1-1/2 in. x 12 in. PVC Tailpiece Extension-C9793A - The Home Depot While he is at it the drain arm is broken. That little white ball is missing the piece that reaches inside and moves the stopper.
    The stopper hasn't worked in years. The part that is still there is only to prevent leaking.

Thanks for the reply. I think that's what he will go with.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 5, 2016, 06:31 PM
    Fpor $2.50 he can replace that arm. POP-UP CNTR ROD ASSEMBLY 456136 from Hipp Modern Builders Supply at SHOP.COM
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 6, 2016, 05:42 AM
    I don't think I understand the responses to the thread.

The tailpipe of the present drain assembly is broken. While you may or may not be able to get the threaded portion up inside the tee out and you may or may not be able to find a replacement tailpipe, it certainly isn't worth the effort.

Simply replace the drain assembly, cost should be in the $12 to $15 range.

I'm no plumber, but I've done a fair amount of work in that area. I've not seen anything quite like what he has.
    John,
    Are you saying your son doesn't know how to get the old assembly out?
    Looks like standard drain assembly to me.

Am I missing something here?
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Sep 6, 2016, 06:38 AM
    Thanks, HK. I think that is what he intends to do. With the tailpiece broken off, I would think that is the only option.

He was unsure how to get the old one out until he checked it out on YouTube.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 6, 2016, 06:56 AM
    He was unsure how to get the old one out
    Well, he should have asked Dad.
    When sons are 16, Dad doesn't know anything. When sons get to be about 30, Dad knows everything.
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2016, 07:50 AM
    Indeed!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 6, 2016, 01:53 PM
    Yup.. standard metal pop-up assembly... simply replace with new METAL pop-up assembly and he'll be all set.

FYI: I don't usually install the cheap plastic pop-up assemblies. Although convenient and non-corrosive they are much harder for the average DIYer to manage to get water tight seal.

Good day!
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2016, 02:11 PM
    Thanks, Mass. I'll pass that on.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 8, 2016, 08:21 AM
    Agree with the posts above. The fine-thread tail piece broke off at the threads. Threads are still inside the pipe. Try to take them out with skinny screwdriver. If you manage to get them out, get new tail piece and screw it in. Use teflon tape on the threads. If the female threads are damaged, you will have to do as suggested above - replace entire pop-up drain assembly. Or you can get 1 1/4" rubber coupling and use it to join tail piece with the existing drain. This may be easier for you to do.

Plastic trap is fine, as long as it is inside the cabinet.

Milo
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2016, 11:10 AM
    I think he has already replaced it. Thanks for the info. I encouraged him to go plastic, but I think he is using metal.

We thought about the coupling, but he only had a half inch or so to "grab" on the original drain assembly before running into where the pop up arm screwed in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Upstairs Neighbor bathroom sink backs up into my downstairs bathroom sink? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a two story condo on the bottom floor. Today, I noticed my bathroom sink was filled for no reason. Every time I would scoop out the water, it kept refilling. After some troubleshooting, we realized that the backup occurs when my upstairs neighbors turn on their bathroom sink which is...

What could be a solution for this bathroom sink leak issue? [ 2 Answers ]

Any time I turn on either faucet (hot/cold) it starts leaking in the cabinet under. If I shine a light up to see where the water is coming from, it's a hole right in between where the handles are. The hole has a stick coming out of it which controls the stopper. That's where the water seems to be...

New bathroom sink backs up halfway, quickly drains, repeat.. no overflow in this sink [ 2 Answers ]

I just very proudly finished installing our new second floor bathroom sink drains. Two different vanities, two different walls. I ran the water steadily in both of them for 10 minutes. One works fine. The other backs up about halfway up the bowl, then suddenly quickly drains everything and...

Bathroom sink tailpiece to P-trap install issue [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm trying to install a new bathroom sink. The new tailpiece, that came with the faucet assembly, has a 1.25" (smooth) end that would normally connect to the P-trap. One problem is that there is about 7" between the bottom of the tailpiece and the existing P-trap. Another problem is that the...

View more questions Search