Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coblas Posts: 137, Reputation: 2

Sep 5, 2016, 08:48 AM
    How do I seal the open tops of cement blocks in front of my house?
    When my house was built in 1971, the cement block foundation was extended forward about 4" to accommodate a future stone front. Shingles (now rotted) were nailed at an angle overlaying the tops of the block openings. I've removed the shingles and placed 2x4s and loose pavers over the tops of the block openings (after removing all critters). Now I'd like to permanently seal the open tops of the blocks in case water is getting in. What's the best way to do this? I've considered placing strips of shingles the depth of the shelf or with a slight extension ("awning") with a waterproof concrete and masonry product that comes in a tube, but I don't know if it would seal to the shingles. If it does, I'd add pavers with concrete grout or more of the stuff in the tube and could caulk every joint with it. Would this be effective? Maybe omitting the shingles would be better and just using concrete with the pavers would work. I'm considering the pavers because I'll have to lay on the deck and reach down about 30" in a space 9" wide to do the work. Should I leave the 2x4s that are there and apply something over them instead? They're not attached to anything. With cement products, I would need to use something that doesn't set up too fast. Thank you for your help.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2016, 01:25 PM
    Tightly stuff newspaper into the hole, leaving a space about 3". Then, pour quickcrete into the hole and leave a small taper to the outside. Just mix small bat ches of the cement so it won't all set up at the same time. You can also use expanded plaster mesh by cutting an oversize piece and jam it in.
    coblas Posts: 137, Reputation: 2

Sep 6, 2016, 08:23 AM
    Thank you for your input. Sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure I can manage it because of difficulty reaching down to access the holes and my lack of experience. I thought using the pavers, buttered before placing, would make it easier, but I don't know if they'd keep water out as well as Quikrete. Any comments?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2016, 01:38 PM
    Without a picture of the actual layout, it is difficult to give you more ideas. The suggestions I made are ones I have used. Quickrete can be made fairly thin and run down a funnel or cardboard tube.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to create an "awning" over open cement blocks under a deck? [ 12 Answers ]

The foundation of my house has a shelf once intended for a stone front which was never installed. It's 3 cement blocks below the bottom of the siding. It's not readily accessible since a low 2-level deck was built over it and I think the open cement blocks in the shelf (which should have been...

Cement slab house how long before laying cement blocks? [ 2 Answers ]

After a slab is poured how long should you let it cure before putting up cement blocks

Waterproofing Painted Cement Blocks [ 1 Answers ]

I have cement blocks in my basement, which are painted. I started getting black spots on my paint. I scraped the paint, but there is white paint under it which I have not been able to remove. While scrapping, pieces of the white paint did come off which revealed small black spots in cement...

Cement blocks turning white [ 8 Answers ]

2 years ago I had a cement wall built and when spring came there where hugh white spots on the cement taking up about 50% of it. I called the contractor and he said it was curing. This year I have the same problem. I bought a corn broom and it will not come off with this. What is the cause and what...

View more questions Search