Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Snitz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2016, 08:02 AM
    Insect bites
    My daughter is 16. Has 2 bites like mosquito bites but there's a large red ring around them like a rash. It is itchy. Can anything be done for them or just run its course .
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 5, 2016, 08:22 AM
    Not knowing what kind of bites they are, it is impossible to say how to treat them. Where was she recently ? Hiking, visiting the beach, what ? Of course if they are itchy, you can try applying dabs of white vinegar. This may control the itching. If you are concerned, take her to the doctor if they are not gone in about a week.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 5, 2016, 08:55 AM
    First guess, depending on where you live, is a spider bite, possibly one that needs medical care.
    Very few are poisonous. I've had them as a kid that covered half my arm.
    2 - Ringworm is a well defined red ring and SOMETIMES has a middle spot. You need a doctor for that (it's not a worm; don't worry).
    3 - Not likely from the sound, but tick bite with infection such as Lyme. Usually a round rash without clear edges, much bigger than ringworm or a spider bite, but not necessarily.

You could spend all day looking online at pictures of all those.

I use cortisone cream on all bites, rashes, anything itchy.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 5, 2016, 10:30 AM
    I've used a product called After Bite successfully on different types of insect bites. Its available at most drugstores.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2016, 04:48 PM
    One up to AfterBite, many summers with that and calamine.

Common Bites:

What Bit Me? How to Identify Common Bug Bites | Everyday Health
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 5, 2016, 06:02 PM
    Put your thumb over an open bottle of ammonia and shake the bottle. Then dab the droplet on the bite. Makes the itch go away. Afterbite is 90% ammonia.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 14, 2017, 12:53 PM
    Jam3sFord, thanks for helping out, but this post is too old for more suggestions. Try to keep responses to much more current ones.
    (Also, she didn't say she knew they were mosquito bites.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insect bites [ 1 Answers ]

My son was swimming over the weekend at an area lake. He has a large, raised bite area on the right of his tummy. The bite itself (in center) has also grown a bit. The area is warmer than the rest of him. I've searched all insect bites and have found nothing similar - even on Google image...

Insect bites [ 0 Answers ]

Every summer I feel like I have insects biting my legs, arms, back and neck and head. When I look at my skins I do not see anything. I pull the sheets off the bed to look at the mattress, nothing. I jump into the shower, heavy coat my skin with skin so soft oil and lotion and I spray my bed with...

Small Insect Bites [ 2 Answers ]

I sometimes get small, mildly itchy bites on my feet and legs at night that are not mosquito bites. My 3 cats often lie on my bed but I have checked them and my sheets over and they do not have fleas. They seem to happen more often in the fall. Does anyone else have this?

What insect bites in clusters and very itchy? [ 1 Answers ]

Once or twice a year, it appears that I get bitten by an insect(s) that bite in clusters and result in very, very itchy skin abrasions. The itch can last for five or six days. Do you know what kind of insect this might be.

Insect bites behind ears [ 2 Answers ]

I have noticed between 10-20 itchy bites behind both my ears. They are similar to mosquito bites but there are too many of them to be just mosquitos. They could be bed bugs but many of the cases I've read about are on the arms and legs. Any ideas what they are and if so how to get rid of them. ...

View more questions Search