Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Sep 1, 2016, 04:34 PM
    New Modem
    I purchased a new Arris Surfboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem. It is extremely fast.
    Thought it was a Modem/Router. Have an old Netgear N300 Wireless Router can I use it or will it cause me grief. Or should I by a Netgear C3000 N300 8x4 Cable Modem/Router?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 1, 2016, 05:45 PM
    You can use the older router, but if you don't want to slow down the fast modem you want to upgrade to a new A router.

Sep 2, 2016, 06:37 AM
    Thanks Scott, my next question is I can get a Modem/ Router for $89 dollars or a Modem only for $89 dollars. Speed is not necessary. Would you go for a cheaper Modem and hookup the old router? Also do you prefer two boxes over one box?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 2, 2016, 07:32 AM
    Personally I prefer separate boxes. First, Broadband modem technology has not advanced as fast as WiFi technology. The DOCSIS 3.0 spec was released in 2006. A 3.1 spec was released in 2013 with minor updates several times. These updates are rolled out to modem's by the cable provider or the you may have to get them from Arris.

On the other hand, the Wifi standards have gone through several major updates in that time.

Sep 2, 2016, 11:11 AM
    Thanks again Scott. I went with 2 boxes and have it all set up and working fine.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 2, 2016, 05:14 PM
    Darn. I'm too late to the conversation. lol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Telabs 8110 modem ican I used it as leased line modem [ 3 Answers ]

In my office there is a Tellabs 8110 modem from where internet is connected . Is it is a leased line modem or it is a fixed ip broadband modem :)

What is modem? [ 3 Answers ]

What is modem?

What is the difference between dialup modem and a Broadband modem? [ 6 Answers ]

What is the difference between dialup modem and a Broadband modem?:confused:

Broadband Modem & Modem with Router (DSL-2640B) [ 1 Answers ]

When I'm connecting broadband using D-Link ADSL broadband Modem, the connected computer will connect to Internet after verifying username and password. If I'll replace that modem with D-Link DSL-2640B (A broadband ADSL Modem WiFi router) then will this router can connect to Internet automaticall...

View more questions Search