Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mina Raheb Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2016, 06:27 PM
    Advice
    I was thinking about getting a doberman pinscher puppy ,but I don't think I have much time to play and train him , maybe like 30 to 60 minutes a day , is it enough to empty his energy , or he needs more practice time .
    I don't want him to be bored and aggressive .
    Thanks for your time .
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 30, 2016, 06:46 PM
    What is your question?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 30, 2016, 06:49 PM
    My family and I have raised and trained Dobes for 3 generations (of people). 60 minutes a day is okay for training, but he'll need room to romp and play for several hours. A fenced in half-acre would be the minimum size yard I would recommend. Then an hour of training and some bonding time will get you a magnificent companion.

Aug 30, 2016, 07:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    My family and I have raised and trained Dobes for 3 generations (of people). 60 minutes a day is okay for training, but he'll need room to romp and play for several hours. A fenced in half-acre would be the minimum size yard I would recommend. Then an hour of training and some bonding time will get you a magnificent companion.
    Thanks a lot . I'm so exited to raise one ,but I'm afraid of not giving him what he deserves
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 30, 2016, 07:10 PM
    I would never ever raise a dog with only 30 - 60 minutes a day to spend with it.

Aug 30, 2016, 07:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I would never ever raise a dog with only 30 - 60 minutes a day to spend with it.
    You are right ,I wish I had more free time but a new semester will start soon . Every week I'll have two days off ,so I can spend 5 hours with it each day and I'll try to be with it whenever I can .
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 30, 2016, 07:39 PM
    Have you ever had a dog before? Do you know anything about training? The pup will have to be pottied about every four hours. Is there a neighbor or family member who can help with this?

Maybe an adult cat would be a better choice.

Aug 30, 2016, 08:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Have you ever had a dog before? Do you know anything about training? The pup will have to be pottied about every four hours. Is there a neighbor or family member who can help with this?

Maybe an adult cat would be a better choice.
    I had a dog but only for 4 months ,I didn't have much responsibility to be honest ,but now I'm really willing to raise one .
    For the training I'm relying on YouTube (expert trainers are rare in my country so I have no choice at the moment) .
    I think I will have to come back to take it out for a walk .

I don't want a just a pet , I love dogs and specially dobermans and huskys .
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 30, 2016, 08:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mina Raheb View Post
    I had a dog but only for 4 months ,I didn't have much responsibility to be honest ,but now I'm really willing to raise one .
    For the training I'm relying on YouTube (expert trainers are rare in my country so I have no choice at the moment) .
    I think I will have to come back to take it out for a walk .

I don't want a just a pet , I love dogs and specially dobermans and huskys .
    Have you read any books or watched those videos?

Aug 30, 2016, 09:07 PM
    Have you read any books or watched those videos?

I watched videos on how to train the puppies . I will be thankful if you give me a name of a good book read .I'm afraid that it gets aggressive when I don't have much time to train and play with it ,that's the only thing that worries me.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 30, 2016, 09:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mina Raheb View Post
    I watched videos on how to train the puppies . I will be thankful if you give me a name of a good book read .I'm afraid that it gets aggressive when I don't have much time to train and play with it ,that's the only thing that worries me.
    I'm not a dog person. If I had so little time to spend with one, I would look around for other options if I were you. I suspect you'll end up with a problem dog that'll have to go to a shelter or even be euthanized. Please don't do this until you have more time to spend.

Aug 30, 2016, 10:05 PM
    I'm not a dog person. If I had so little time to spend with one, I would look around for other options if I were you. I suspect you'll end up with a problem dog that'll have to go to a shelter or even be euthanized. Please don't do this until you have more time to spend.
    You are right ,I'll wait till I have more free time .
    Thank you.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 31, 2016, 04:25 PM
    A doberman needs a lot of time and care, and needs more than the time you have every day. There are breeds that need less interaction, and less exercise, but obviously you're drawn to a larger breed, and most large breeds need a lot of exercise and training and interaction. Every dog needs to be with their pack, so my next question to you would be how often you're home. How long would any dog you get, be alone at home? If it's more than 10 hours a day, I would not consider a dog.

I would look at other pets. Hamsters are great. They don't need a lot of time from you but are friendly enough (if you get the right one), to enjoy the limited time you do have. They're cuddly, you can hold them and play with them, but if you don't have time every day for them, as long as they have food and water and a clean cage, they're fine without daily interaction. They are curious little animals, and love new things and toys. There are tons of great cages out there and accessories that will give a hamster everything it needs to be happy. Also, they're solitary animals, they really don't like being with other hamsters, and will in fact fight to the death with any other hamster that is placed in their space, but they are, if bought young and handled often, great little pets for humans.

Depending on where you live, I currently have two hamster cages, very nice ones with a huge bag of tunnels and toys and accessories. If you're close by I'd be willing to give them to you, and help you pick out a hamster too because, like dogs, each breed is different.

Let me know and I'll be glad to help.

Sep 1, 2016, 05:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    A doberman needs a lot of time and care, and needs more than the time you have every day. There are breeds that need less interaction, and less exercise, but obviously you're drawn to a larger breed, and most large breeds need a lot of exercise and training and interaction. Every dog needs to be with their pack, so my next question to you would be how often you're home. How long would any dog you get, be alone at home? If it's more than 10 hours a day, I would not consider a dog.

Depending on where you live, I currently have two hamster cages, very nice ones with a huge bag of tunnels and toys and accessories. If you're close by I'd be willing to give them to you, and help you pick out a hamster too because, like dogs, each breed is different.

Usually it will not be home alone ,one of my parents will be most of the time with it when I'm outside , they might play with it but they won't take out for a walk .
    I'm out for 8 hours on average ,and some days less depending on my schedule .
    Thank you for your offer but I want a pet which can understand ,love and bark . Whether it's a doberman ,a husky or nothing .

Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post

Usually it will not be home alone ,one of my parents will be most of the time with it when I'm outside , they might play with it but they won't take out for a walk .
    I'm out for 8 hours on average ,and some days less depending on my schedule .
    Thank you for your offer but I want a pet which can understand ,love and bark . Whether it's a doberman ,a husky or nothing .
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2016, 06:13 AM
    If you like larger breeds, there are some that will require less expulsion of energy, and less space, such as a Mastiff.

Good training and socialization are important to make the time for regardless of breed, but with a large dog in particular, you'd want to make it a priority.

Perhaps do some more research, contact owners of various breeds, and weigh the pros and cons to figure out what your usual routine will best provide for.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 1, 2016, 01:51 PM
    Believe it or not, one of the best apartment dogs is the Great Dane. The only downside is that each one requires their own couch.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2016, 02:19 PM
    Might want to research separation anxiety in dogs...

When it destroys your place... its not going to be its fault.. even if you could manage to properly train it. Dogs are pack animals.. they don't do well alone for long periods.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2017, 07:01 AM
    I agree with your dog needing more time. Its possible you may find more time to spend with him once you have him. May need about 18 years as well. It's a Commitment. Cats are more Independent. Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I need advice [ 4 Answers ]

My best friend loves me and even I had attraction for him, he loves me a lot and cares for me but he is of other religion and I can't marry him. During that period another guy came to my life that is of my caste and religion and he proposed me. I fall in love with him, but after 6 months I started...

I want to get your advice, to make sure I am giving the correct advice [ 4 Answers ]

A friend of mine emailed me her question, knowing that I have gone through the custody thing before myself. She asked me when she can file abandonment on her sons father. I want to run by you what I am emailing her back to make sure I give her the correct information. Thank you for your help :)

Ok I need some advice... [ 5 Answers ]

I am going to have a baby... and I am about 5-6 weeks along and I am getting sick all the time... I can't ride in the car... my husband told me I was being mean all the time but he is really being mean he is short with me and won't be close to me or nothing... last night he slept on the floor... am...

Need Some Advice Please [ 4 Answers ]

I have been going out with a girl now for nearly 2 months and really like her. I knew her ex boyfriend first and that's how we met. One night we were all out and ended up going back to a friends house for a party. Anyway the ex knew we were getting close and I spoke to him about it because I didn't...

Advice on Giving Advice [ 16 Answers ]

Hey all! I have a slight dilemna and I'd like it if you guys and gals can help me out. I have two friends who are in a relationship together, but things have become kind of rocky between them. The problem is that they are both my friends so they both confide in me and ask for advice. At present...

View more questions Search