Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shifftali Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2016, 04:08 PM
    30 amp dryer with 40 amp breaker
    I have a 30 amp electric dryer with an eight gauge wire running to a 40 amp circuit breaker. As my dryer keeps stopping midcycle and I've narrowed down the problem to a bad breaker, how should I proceed in changing the breaker? Should I put in a 30 amp breaker with an 8 gauge wire?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2016, 04:45 PM
    How did you determine it is the breaker? What would you accomplish by putting in a 30, 8 is rated for 40.

Aug 30, 2016, 07:18 PM
    1) I determined it was the breaker by thorough process of elimination 2) I don't know what I'd accomplish by putting in a thirty - except that the dryer instruction calls for a thirty amp breaker but I currently have a 40 breaker with 8 gauge - and I was just wondering if it's better to stick with their instructions -- i.e. is it unsafe to keep a forty/8 wire ? Or is more amps OK to have even it'll only pull 30 amp.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2016, 05:22 AM
    Would you clarify for us what exactly is happening?
    When the dryer stops midcycle as you say, does the circuit breaker trip?
    Or does the dryer just stop...?
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2016, 07:37 AM
    Follow the dryer manufactures specifications. But changing the breaker won't fix your problem. Even if it is the breaker tripping, a breaker of lesser value will most likely trip more often. You need to troubleshoot the dryer first. Does the dryer restart?
    Does the breaker trip? What is more likely is that the dryer is overheating and that is what is stopping it. You need to provide more information if you want more complete and helpful answers.

Aug 31, 2016, 08:51 AM
    The dryer is six months new. I opened it, cleaned out the vent and all areas, ensured that the motor runs smooth, I tested the thermal fuse, and the dryer keeps shutting off mid cycle. The terminal block is also OK. Any other ideas?after researching, I was advised to change the breaker, which was warm to the touch upon investigation. This is when I discovered it was a 40 amp circuit breaker despite dryer rec's for 30 amp. SO: if I were to change the breaker-- should I just replace the 40 amp breaker or put in a 30 amp breaker? If I were to replace it with a 30 amp breaker, would it be a problem with the 8 gauge wire that is presently supplying the dryer? Or perhaps I should just replace the existing 40 amp breaker and see what happens.help!
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2016, 09:53 AM
    If the mfg. specifies a 30 amp breaker then that is what you should use. Using the 8 Ga. wire is absolutely fine, in fact it is advised when the circuit is long.
    You may want to shut off the breaker and check the connection to it. If it is getting warm there could be a loose wire at the breaker. If the power to the dryer is compromised that could trigger the dryers actions. Turn off the power, check all wiring connections, including that on the dryer and try again. If the dryer still quits mid cycle it is most likely a dryer problem. Is the circuit direct from panel to dryer or is there a junction box? If there is, check for loose connections there.
    Do you have access to an ammeter? That's a sure way to determine if the dryer is drawing too much amperage or if indeed the issue is within the dryer circuit.

Aug 31, 2016, 09:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
    If the mfg. specifies a 30 amp breaker then that is what you should use. Using the 8 Ga. wire is absolutely fine, in fact it is advised when the circuit is long.
    You may want to shut off the breaker and check the connection to it. If it is getting warm there could be a loose wire at the breaker. If the power to the dryer is compromised that could trigger the dryers actions. Turn off the power, check all wiring connections, including that on the dryer and try again. If the dryer still quits mid cycle it is most likely a dryer problem. Is the circuit direct from panel to dryer or is there a junction box? If there is, check for loose connections there.
    Do you have access to an ammeter? That's a sure way to determine if the dryer is drawing too much amperage or if indeed the issue is within the dryer circuit.
    OK thanks! I will try this and hopefully it'll work, ill re-post

Aug 31, 2016, 07:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
    So I rechecked all of the dryer components, and I swapped out the 40 amp to thirty amp circuit breaker (the 40 amp breaker had one of the screws jammed in and twisted sideways I couldn't even get it out - I had to cut the wire). I ran a load of wet towels on HIGH heat and... it works!!
    Thanks for all your help!
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2016, 07:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifftali View Post
    So I rechecked all of the dryer components, and I swapped out the 40 amp to thirty amp circuit breaker (the 40 amp breaker had one of the screws jammed in and twisted sideways I couldn't even get it out - I had to cut the wire). I ran a load of wet towels on HIGH heat and... it works!!
    Thanks for all your help!
    I'm glad you got it straightened out.
    Troubleshooting is a step by step process that only works when every possible scenario is worked out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I replace a fat 15 amp breaker with a skinny 15 amp breaker [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Siemens I-T-E panel and need to make room for a double 30 amp circuit breaker for my generator. Unfortunately, I'm out of space in the panel box to add the extra breaker. I have a lot of "fat" 15 amp breakers and I was wondering if I could replace four "fat' breakers with four "skinny"...

Can I downgrade a 200 amp service with a 200 amp main by adding a 100 amp breaker to [ 1 Answers ]

Can I downgrade a 200 amp service to a 100 amp service by adding a 100 amp breaker to the panel

Used 25 amp circuit breaker instead of a 30 amp on dryer [ 1 Answers ]

I plugged a new dryer in a 25 amp circuit breaker, but it should have been a 30 amp, dryer started only for a minute. I replaced the circuit breaker with a 30 amp, but dryer still does not go on.

Can I tapinto the line side of a100 amp main breaker to feed a 60 amp breaker service [ 1 Answers ]

Can I tap into the line side of a 100 amp main breaker to feed a 60 amp breaker for a electric stove

Install a dryer 30 amp circuit breaker 10/2 wire [ 1 Answers ]

I recently installed a 30 amp 2 pole circuit breaker using 10/2 w/ground for a new dryer. At the box, I wired the 10/2 w/ground black to one side and the white to one side of the 30 amp 2 poled breaker and the ground to the side bar for ground. I also installed a three prong receptacle, wiring...

View more questions Search