Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    srivatsann Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2016, 02:48 AM
    30% Mandatory Withholding for Non-residents
    Hi,

This question is regarding 30% mandatory withholding of IRA distributions to a foreign person (returned to India).

1) If a non-resident alien withdraws from his IRA (before 59.5), I understand that the plan custodian should withhold 30%. Can the NRA file 1040NR and get refund if he is liable to pay less than 30% tax (including 10% penalty)?

Example: NRA withdraws 10000 from IRA. He has to pay a 10% penalty of 1000. IRA custodian withholds 3000. When the NRA file 1040NR, s/he determines that the tax + penalty he is liable to pay is 1600. Will IRS refund (3000 - 1600) = 1400?

2) Would the effectively connected income be taxed differently from capital gains/interest in the IRA? How is the ECI and gains segregated on withdrwal? In the above example how will they determine what portions is capital gain?

3) If the NRA (India resident) file W8-BEN, will that reduce the tax on the interest/capital gains through some tax treaty?

Regards
    Sri
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 30, 2016, 06:19 AM
    Yes. If in fact the 30% withholding exceeds combination of the tax liability and the 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty, then you can recover the difference as a refund by filing Form 1040NR at the beginning for the year following the date of the IRA withdrawal.

Aug 30, 2016, 07:41 AM
    Thanks AtlantaTaxExpert.

Is IRA distribution considered as Effectively Connected Income and only subject to graduated tax rates?

Going through Pub 519, it is not clear if the gain/dividend portion of the IRA will be taxed at flat 30% rate for a NRA (this is what I tried to ask in questions 2 & 3 but did not use the right terms).

Regards
    Sri

Aug 30, 2016, 11:58 AM
    With regards to whether IRA distribution is considered Effectively Connected Income, I found the following info.

Section IRC 864(c)(6) (R2) talks about treatment of certain deferred payments to a non-resident. The language in the clause is modifying the clause of IRC 871(b)(1).

My understanding of the above clauses is that IRA distribution to a NRA is considered effectively connected income and subject to graduated tax rates. So, no flat 30% tax on the gain/dividend portion.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards
    Sri
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 31, 2016, 06:10 AM
    You are correct in assuming you are subject to graduated tax rates.

Aug 31, 2016, 07:47 AM
    Thanks AtlantaTaxExpert.
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 31, 2016, 08:02 AM
    Glad to help!
    bennos Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2020, 04:01 AM
    Dear Sri (and Atlanta tax expert),

Your argument in post #4 looks convincing to me, but, researching this question further, many people seem believe that a 30% flat rate, instead of a graduated rate, applies.

I would be interested to hear whether, since your original discussion, you have any new first-hand experience, or indirect knowledge of whether, in practice, the IRS is willing to follow your argument.

Regards,

--Benno

Jan 13, 2020, 07:01 AM
    Sorry Benno. I did not have to withdraw from IRA. So no first-hand experience on the above argument yet.

But, some countries have treaty with US by which IRA distribution can be treated as pension payment (if periodic withdrawal and not lump sum distribution) and taxed only in the country of residence of the Non Resident and not by US. See if that option applies to you.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 13, 2020, 09:03 AM
    Benno,

The graduated rates apply; I do these type of returns all of the time, and I know when the 30% flat rate applies and when the graduated rates apply.

For you, the graduated rates apply because the IRA is considered deferred compensation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mandatory Vaccinations [ 110 Answers ]

In the past few weeks, there have been outbreaks of measles and other preventable diseases in parts of the U.S. and Canada near Vancouver. They have all been linked to these anti-vaccination idiots like Jenny McCarthy. I think it is time to make vaccinations mandatory before there is a pandemic. I...

virginia mandatory withholding of taxes [ 2 Answers ]

Does Virginia require the mandatory withholding of taxes from 401K distributions

Is tipping mandatory? [ 31 Answers ]

Hi all, I hope this thread is in the right place. Here's my question; I ordered pizza today, I wanted it delivered to my house, so I paid the extra $3.00 charge for the privilege. I also wanted to pay cash, I had exactly $27.00 on me, and the total came to $26.78. Now, I usually do tip...

Mandatory Sentences [ 1 Answers ]

Hello: Let's say a child was about to be sentenced in a Florida court where the judge is obliged by law to sentence the child to life without parole... But, let's say the judge refused, and sentenced him to less. What would happen to the judge, and what would happen to the defendant? excon

View more questions Search