Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mgbeinhauer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2016, 11:58 PM
    Electrical wiring traceable
    I reside in an apartment which consist of 4 apartments and a shared laundry room. The laundry room is suppose to paid by the owner of the property along with lights outside and in garages. When I observe all the meters mine is the only meter adding any significant kilowatts to it. I was wondering is it possible for an electrician to trace the wiring from our laundry room to see exactly who is paying for it. In the laundry room the is a metal box located right above the fuse pane which has some wires running through it from the fuse panel but not all of them. Any ideas on what the purpose of this would be? Thanks for any assistance
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2016, 04:16 AM
    If you turn "off" everything in your apartment your meter should essentially stop turning. If it doesn't, point this out to your landlord and request "he" makes the corrections...
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2016, 05:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hfcarson View Post
    If you turn "off" everything in your apartment your meter should essentially stop turning. If it doesn't, point this out to your landlord and request "he" makes the corrections...
    Be sure that you have a dryer (assuming it is electric, not gas) running during this test because you want to be able to demonstrate the power usage is not coming from your apartment. If you can start/stop the dryer while watching your meter and correlate the usage, you should have a good case.

Best of luck,
    WallyH
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2016, 07:00 AM
    Is this agreement in writing? If it's word of mouth you may not get anywhere even if you do prove it. Consider a backup plan of moving if things don't go the way you want. It's nearly impossible to win any victory over a building owner unless it's spelled out in your lease.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical Wiring Help [ 2 Answers ]

I have an outdoor light that I have replaced. This is wired correctly but the light still doesn't work. I then replaced the light switch inside, which again has been wired as shown, although the light switch inside has several other wires that were previously capped off. The light still doesn't...

Electrical wiring of a/c [ 2 Answers ]

How to you wire a 240V air conditioning unit to a two wire supply of one hot wire and one neutral wire.

Can substandard electrical wiring installation at home produce electrical arching [ 6 Answers ]

Can substandard electrical wiring installation at home produce electrical arching? Then fire?

Non traceable [ 1 Answers ]

If non-traceable costs are not allocated to the various operating units within an organization, who ends up paying these costs?

Electrical wiring [ 1 Answers ]

Is the electrical wiring the same on a 95 accord and the 96 accord

View more questions Search