Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Colleencr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2016, 02:01 PM
    Smear case pie recipe
    Do you have a recipe for traditional smear case pie?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 28, 2016, 02:10 PM
    From Smearcase Pie | Just A Pinch

I think you want a schmierkase custard pie. Schmierkase is basically a cottage cheese type of pie. (Schmierkase: fresh, soft, unripened cheese consisting of curds of varying sizes, usually mixed with some whey or cream. It is white and mild but faintly sour in taste. In commercial cheese making, the curds are derived from pasteurized skim milk or reconstituted, low-fat milk products. The whey is drained-but not pressed-from the curds, thus leaving a certain amount of liquid. In this form, cottage cheese has a low-fat content and is a popular food in low-fat diets. If cream is added and the product contains four percent or more fat, it is sold as creamed cottage cheese.)

Here's a recipe you might like.

Amish Custard Cottage Cheese Pie

1 (16 ounce) package small curd cottage cheese
    1 cup white sugar
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
    1 pinch salt
    3 egg yolks
    3 egg whites
    1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
    1 1/2 cups milk
    2 (9 inch) pie shells

Place cottage cheese in strainer and let drain for about 1 hour or until most of liquid has been drained.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).

In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese, sugar, flour, lemon juice, salt, egg yolks, evaporated milk, and regular milk. Mix well.

In a separate clean bowl, beat egg whites until firm and stiff peaks are formed. Fold into batter until smooth. Pour into pie crusts.

Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C), then reduce oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake for an additional 25 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool on racks, then refrigerate. Flavor improves if served a day after baking.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 28, 2016, 02:18 PM
    Also from our own site, https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cookin...ase-90885.html
    Below is the recipe from the link (and is no longer available) in the early replies for this question. Notes in and below recipe are just some things that we have noticed in using the recipe several times. You may use or ignore the notes. My Navy friend who got me started eating this dessert, and whose mother was raised in East Baltimore and fed it to him for about 50 years—says that this recipe is the “real deal”. We found it being sold in a bakery in Ellicott City about 10+ years ago too.

German Smearcase (aka German Smear Cake)

Crust: (Note: pre-made crusts work fine unless you want it thicker like bakeries usually serve it)
    1 cup flour, ½ teaspoon baking powder, ¼ cup sugar
    1 egg, 1 tablespoon butter, ¼ cup milk

Grease a 13-by-9 inch baking pan. In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients together until a dough is formed. Press dough into pan using floured hands.

Filling
    1 pound cottage cheese (large curd)
    8 ounces cream cheese (Note: Softening in microwave first helps)
    8 tablespoons cornstarch
    4 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    4 tablespoons melted butter
    1 and ¼ cups milk
    1 and ½ cups sugar
    1 tablespoon cinnamon (Note: adding cinnamon after fully cooked works best for us)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Push the cottage cheese through a fine mesh. Cream the cottage cheese and cream cheese with the paddle of a mixer for 3 to 5 minutes. Add the cornstarch. Mix in the eggs, 1 at a time until blended.

Add vanilla, butter, milk, and sugar, and mix for 2 minutes on medium speed.

Carefully pour mixture over crust. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes, until cake has set.

Notes (not in original recipe): The bakeries we have seen smearcase sold in, normally prepare it thicker (like a cake) instead of thinner like a pie. If you just use graham cracker pre-made crusts or frozen pie crusts, this mix will probably make two “pies”. If you use a deeper pan, one thicker “cake” may utilize all the filling. Suggest having an extra crust and/or some small tart-type pans available the first time you use the recipe in case you have filling left over. Also, this is a very runny filling and it is best to finish filling the baking pan(s) after the pan has been set onto the shelf. We don't screen the cottage cheese--mixing pretty well liquifies it.

We cook for about 45 minutes (5 minutes more than recipe calls for) but maybe less in different ovens.

Even when fully cooked, it will be somewhat “liquidy”, but sets up as it cools.

If you see any brown spots at all start to appear on the surface (we don't add cinnamon until we have taken out of the oven so that we can see the top of the cake/pie better) but if any brown spots appear-remove from oven. We had one occasion where we got our timing off and it didn't set properly. Splenda works in place of sugar but changes taste a little. Checking with a toothpick should produce some residue on toothpick but watch for brown spots. If seen, take out of oven.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Converting pumpkin pie recipe to tarts [ 4 Answers ]

I have a can of pumpkin leftover from Thanksgiving. It seems that my family enjoys bite-sized desserts SO, how do I convert the pie baking times and temperatures to making pumpkin tarts (mini pies)? Thank you! I guess the word "tarts" is not accurate. I want to make miniature pumpkin pies...

Does anyone have a failproof awesome recipe for pumpkin pie? Asks Non-American [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for a good, failproof recipe for a traditional pumpkin pie. There are so many on the internet, but I can't ever be sure if internet recipes will work. I am not from USA, but I have tasted delicious pumpkin pie made by authentic American before... Yum! Would like to try my own

Recipe Trade: Here's my MarsBar Cheesecake Recipe (A real winner!) [ 1 Answers ]

From My Family Kitchen to Yours.. Want to trade a tried and tested family favorite? Here's one from my kitchen.. MarsBar Cheesecake, perfect for a Special Birthday - Sure to put a smile on that Birthday Persons dile:) This recipe is for a LARGE Cake - if you are catering for a smaller...

Recipe for Pecan Pie [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have a good recipe for a pecan pie?

View more questions Search