Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

Aug 28, 2016, 06:23 AM
    Smoke Detector Placement...
    Smoke Detector Location came with the House... lol... Whenever some serious Baking / Cooking is Done (No Burning Food.. lol.. ) That Annoying Shrill Alarm goes off.. The Object is to Relocate the SD.. The Smoke Detector is Hard Wired into the Electrical System...

Main Floor is Open Concept Kitchen / Dining Room / Living Room.. Looking at the Kitchen Cupboards along the Wall where the Fridge & Stove are located , the Smoke Detector is located at the end on the left over the door to the Master Bedroom.. The 2nd Bedroom Door is to the left of the MB Door, directly across from the 2nd Bedroom Door is the Door to the Bathroom.. My idea is to try locating the Smoke Detector more towards the Bathroom / 2nd Bedroom Doors thinking that would lesson the chance of the Smoke Detector going off Needlessly... Not Really Sure how old the Smoke Detector is or if Changing it to a Newer Model would be the Ticket? Thoughts & Ideas Appreciated, Cheers Thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 28, 2016, 06:54 AM
    Mine are battery operated so can place them wherever I want. My bungalow is about 1200 square feet with 2 bedrooms so placement is not rocket science. I had one outside the bathroom in the hall way but found that at times the steam from the bathroom would set it off.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 28, 2016, 11:32 AM
    I couldn't stand the hard wired one that came with my house. Nothing but weird problems. Taking the batteries out didn't help. By the end, the last hard to reach one over the cellar stairs, I was crazy hell bent on destruction with any broom handle and ax I could find to smash it.
    I now have battery only ones that aren't attached anywhere, so I can move them around at will.

Aug 28, 2016, 03:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I couldn't stand the hard wired one that came with my house. Nothing but weird problems. Taking the batteries out didn't help. By the end, the last hard to reach one over the cellar stairs, I was crazy hell bent on destruction with any broom handle and ax I could find to smash it.
    I now have battery only ones that aren't attached anywhere, so I can move them around at will.
    Have a 2nd Smoke Detector in the Basement just outside 3rd Bedroom Door.. Furnace is downstairs as well.. I'm thinking just Battery Operated ones and place it around the room until steam from the Kitchen won't set it off.. (? )

Aug 31, 2016, 11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Mine are battery operated so can place them wherever I want. My bungalow is about 1200 square feet with 2 bedrooms so placement is not rocket science. I had one outside the bathroom in the hall way but found that at times the steam from the bathroom would set it off.

Upon Further Checking on What Sets the SD off.. We have Stove Top Induction Hot Plates, No SD Screaming.. lol.. The Oven is a Wall Incert and approximately 8' / 9' from the Smoke Detector, seems once the Oven Door is Opened the Smoke Detector starts Screaming...
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 31, 2016, 01:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NorPlan View Post
    Upon Further Checking on What Sets the SD off.. We have Stove Top Induction Hot Plates, No SD Screaming.. lol.. The Oven is a Wall Incert and approximately 8' / 9' from the Smoke Detector, seems once the Oven Door is Opened the Smoke Detector starts Screaming...
    Either clean your oven, or don't put one in the kitchen.

Sep 9, 2016, 05:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Either clean your oven, or don't put one in the kitchen.
    Thank You.. lol... btw... That's the Kanundrum,We're obviously going to need a visit from the local Fire Dept. Wasn't much thought put into an Open Concept Reno by previous Owner, they didn't take into consideration the previous owner to Them placement of the Hardwired Smoke Detector.. Just Saying..lol..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why Does My Smoke Detector Go off without Smoke. [ 0 Answers ]

Second set of 7 detectors now failing. All firex, line voltage, linked w/battery backup. 1st batch lasted 7-8 years. This set about 3-4. Anyone know what brand/model is better/best? Also need to know how to dispose of them. Heard they should not go in land fill.

Smoke detector doesn't detect smoke [ 3 Answers ]

I have two smoke detectors. Good batteries and when I push the test button the alarm works. But I just filled the house with smoke from an unwatched pot on the stove. Neither smoke detector alarmed. I assume they are defective. But how common is this? And if the test button doesn't reliably...

Smoke detector go crazy. [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know if the smoke detector goes off if the tempurature in the house get really cold? My smoke detector goes off in the middle of the night when the tempurature in the house drop down below 60 degree. I have about 8 detectors around the house, so I unplug four and the rest stop. So I...

Smoke Detector Requirements [ 7 Answers ]

When I put up my garage addition, the city inspector said that I had to put a smoke detector in each bedroom, in addition to the two I already had in the hallways. This I gladly did. My question is, how come the city code does not require smoke detectors in the garage(s). Vehicles can and do self...

The physics behind a smoke detector? [ 3 Answers ]

I am doing a physics "how things work" project on a smoke detector, and I need to get in contact with an "expert" on them, who knows how they work, and the physics behind them. If someone could help me out.

View more questions Search