Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tableclocks Posts: 432, Reputation: 2

Aug 26, 2016, 09:06 AM
    Level being level
    I have a known piece of wood that is level, if I put my 2 ft level on it and it reads off about a 1/16 when flipped from end to end, this is the same thing as being level? If the level if off 1/16 when flipped from end to end , the same, I can assume that my new board is level? Tks
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2016, 11:02 AM
    If you are absolutely sure the wood is level, then the level is defective. 1/16" in 2' doesn't sound like much but in an 8 ft wall, it's 1/4 inch.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2016, 02:10 PM
    I think you are confusing the terms "level" and "straight".

A piece of wood can be straight without being level. For example, you can have a perfectly straight piece of wood - cut perfectly and not warped at all - but if you lean that board up against a wall, it is not going to be level.

You can also have a piece of wood that has various carvings out of it and so on, so the edge is not straight, but it is hung evenly on a wall. This is a case of wood that is not straight but is level.

For most building applications, you want both. So make sure you have a straight piece of wood. As for it being level, that's a matter of how you install it. Position it with your eye, and use a level (a tool) to determine if it's level before you fasten it in place.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 26, 2016, 02:43 PM
    Run it through a planer to make it really level/flat/square/true. A loose piece of wood is only as level as the surface it is resting on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I move cold air returns to furnace at floor level from ceiling level [ 0 Answers ]

A poorly designed heating system in a room addition has left me with problems. The contractor simply ran uninsulated plastic,such as that used on dryers, into an unheated,un-insulated crawlspace causing the 3 heat vents to receive nothing but cold air. Recently I simply shut the heat vents to the...

Drain is gurgling in lower level of split level [ 1 Answers ]

Spent 14 hours removing toilet to run power auger into drain. No luck went about 35 ft. then the cable in the drum decided to twist on itself. When other water is drained it comes up through the hole in the floor(figure this is path of least resistance). Is it my vent from the roof or do I need to...

Raising the level of a caste iron toilet flange to the level of the floor tile. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a similar problem as the person in a previous post. I installed one of those twist and sets PVC flanges right on top of my old caste iron flange but the top of the twist and set is still 3/8 inch below the tile. I am wary about using a double wax ring. Can I install one of those flange...

Nice on main level, hot on upper level [ 4 Answers ]

We live in a house that is 5 yrs old. With the A/C on, the main level of the house is very comfortable yet the upper level where the bedrooms are doesn't seem to cool down at all. I'm thinking that it has something to do with the duct work which won't be an easy fix. Could there be any other...

View more questions Search