Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2016, 08:18 AM
    Is Islam compatible with the western idea of separation of church and state?
    I am interested in the insights of Muslim people on this topic. Can an Islamic person respect their religion and also live in a Western country and society which separates religion from laws and fully respect the laws of that country? So, for example, can a person follow Islam and also live according to American or European laws?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2016, 11:37 AM
    There are many Muslims living in the US. I have a very good Egyptian Muslim friend. He works, pays taxes, votes, citizen, has a 401k, a GA drivers license. He totally eschews Islamic terrorism, Sharia law, accepts Christian and Jewish friends, dresses like anyone else, kids go to local public schools. The only difference is that he prays 5 times a day and goes to the Mosque 2 times a week. He comes over for dinner and we say a prayer before meals. In our house we say Jesus, in his house he just uses God, not Allah. So, from a christian US perspective, I will say yes, commonly done.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2016, 11:55 AM
    Thank you. I have several muslim coworkers who are fully assimilated to US culture, but all describe themselves as "non-religious". I am still interested in responses from Muslim people who consider themselves to be "religious" as to whether they can abandon Sharia law and still be considered good, religious people such as by the people at their mosque and clerics, or if doing as your friend (and mine) have done puts them at odds with their faith community. I'm not looking to pass judgment, I just hear all kinds of opinions from American born people who are not Islamic people and would like to hear from someone who is a religious muslim.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 27, 2016, 04:38 AM
    Sharia law and being religious don't have to go together. Most religious Muslims don't subscribe to it any more than most Catholics abstain from sex except for procreation.
    Sorry I'm putting in my 2 cents when I'm not Muslim.
    I'm sure you can find religious Muslims who can give you their personal opinions, but maybe not more than 1 or 2 will see this question here.
    I'd try some sites that are specifically Muslim and have Q and A.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washington State - Divorce to Separation? [ 13 Answers ]

I'm in the Seattle area. My wife and I have been separated since January 12, and our divorce hearing is scheduled for May 25. But we've been having second thoughts about just totally calling it quits. We're thinking maybe a legal separation would be a better move for us, but we can't seem to...

Western liberals/feminists vs radical Islam [ 31 Answers ]

Western liberals and feminists are strong supporters of women's and gay rights, so I've been wondering why are they so silent about radical Islam? Radical Islam is extremely hostile towards women and gay rights so you'd think that liberals and feminists would condemn them.

Separation of state and local [ 1 Answers ]

Can a local president also hold the state president seat at the same time?

What rights does a father in a joint state separation? [ 3 Answers ]

I am 19 and I am currently living in Michigan with the Father of our son but we are having problems and he keeps saying he is going to take him from me. What rights does he have if I decide to leave Michigan and come to Ohio to live with my parents?

Separation of State and Religion. Or something like that [ 30 Answers ]

I remember learning about separation of state and religion. What it basically said is that the government decisions will not be based on religion. What I do not understand is why homosexuals' can't get married. Isn't that a religion thing?

View more questions Search