Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2016, 03:43 AM
    Friend
    I have a friend whom I have known for a few years. Sweet girl but every time we meet the topic of conversation is about her, her, and her and her drama life.
    So I avoid meeting her much.

Tonight, I am going out with my family, kids and friends, I told her I may do so earlier this week. Should I message her to say to join? Or leave it up to her to message and when she does she will say - "why didnt you tell me about it again"? I can say "i did" but she will say "you know me i need reminding"

What's the best answer to give her?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 26, 2016, 04:46 AM
    "If you really had wanted to go, you wouldn't need reminding. And the world doesn't exist to remind you anyway."

Seems trivial. She sounds exhausting, not sweet, to me, but I only have what you say about her to go on.
    If you like to have her as a friend, spend some time thinking of ways to guide her out of her self-centeredness.
    You can try gentle suggestions, or catty responses like I wrote above.

There's no 'should' or 'best.' Just what you want.

But for this particular day? I'd remind her, because it wasn't definite when you mentioned it.
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2016, 05:12 AM
    I like your remark but she would say - yes I'm sorry but am so busy with work kids and being hassled all the time by my ex.

She is exshausting in fact I stopped meeting her just us and kids as her conversation is tiring and I find certain things she says about her problems irrelevant to me. When I try talk and say something about my son, for example, she would say ahh that's nice but you know even my son.. etc etc and bang topic about her life again... and her problems etc

Can you give me clues on how to guide her out of her self centredness and examples of catty responses.

I told her I was going out tonight or sat and was not sure yet depending on another invite I was awaiting from another friend
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2016, 05:37 AM
    She messaged me actually and told me to go with her and her friend tonight and her ex joining also, so it's a group of us (she said)
    Always moaning about him , yet he's always there
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Aug 26, 2016, 05:45 AM
    Have you tried sitting down and talking with her about the friendship? Being open about liking her as a friend but frustrated by the way every conversation is about her and her family? That you need a friend who will interact with you instead of treating you like a doll that doesn't have its own thoughts and ideas?

Talk to her about feeling like you are her therapist instead of her friend. If she needs someone to talk to about the drama in her life, perhaps counseling might be an option.

In all relationships, Romantic or Plutonic, there is a major factor to remember, you can not change the other person unless they see a need to change and want to make the changes. Ultimately, you either figure out how to adapt to their personality or you walk away.

If you value the friendship, talking with her may show her a need to make changes and adaptations of her own. If she doesn't then walk away from the friendship. Don't add more drama, anger, frustration, etc. to the relationship. It won't hurt any less if you drive her away by playing school girl games.
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2016, 05:49 AM
    I have told her number times (when she constantly spoke about her hate and problems with her ex but yet never left him) that I am no longer interested in hearing it anymore.
    She now took action and left him which I am happy for her because he was a bully towards her, yet she still moans about him and yet she still meets him with the kids and yet I still get an earful
    current pert

Aug 26, 2016, 05:58 AM
    I gave you one example of a catty response. Any more are up to you!

You sound like you let her go on and on. Try to force yourself to stop her from now on. Hang up or walk out or change the subject. Have a key phrase that you use each time, like you are training a pet. It could be just the word STOP said emphatically. You could add a short sentence such as "Life isn't all about you" or "My turn." Then start talking about you or something else. You could even reward her when she can go an hour without monopolizing. Say "That was an actually fun time, sharing talking back and forth. Let's go to dinner."
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2016, 06:02 AM
    I like your style Joypuly :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2016, 06:38 AM
    Another message from here.. Here we go

Stating... Her ex now giving her hassle about kids and tonight and she doesn't know where to come with or without kids

See..
    Its always a headache
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 26, 2016, 06:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Krs View Post
    She messaged me actually and told me to go with her and her friend tonight and her ex joining also, so it's a group of us (she said)
    Always moaning about him , yet he's always there
    I am a guy and when a friend moans on and on about an ex yet still socializes with them you either point it out, or decline to join them. You don't just go along and set yourself up with what you consider BS! What's an ex doing hanging with the girls anyway?Makes no sense to me at all, and doesn't sound like having fun to me, which I thought was the whole point.

Unless she is that dense then refusing to socialize with her ex is a strong message for her to consider. Maybe you cannot change your friend but you can stand for what you believe and not just merely tolerate a lousy situation.

It's not like you have not limited contact with her before for those very good reasons you cited so why is this instance any different?
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2016, 06:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I gave you one example of a catty response. Any more are up to you!

You sound like you let her go on and on. Try to force yourself to stop her from now on. Hang up or walk out or change the subject. Have a key phrase that you use each time, like you are training a pet. It could be just the word STOP said emphatically. You could add a short sentence such as "Life isn't all about you" or "My turn." Then start talking about you or something else. You could even reward her when she can go an hour without monopolizing. Say "That was an actually fun time, sharing talking back and forth. Let's go to dinner."
    How do I sound like it let her go on and on?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 26, 2016, 07:09 AM
    Maybe it's time you distance yourself from her.
    current pert

Aug 26, 2016, 08:20 AM
    You sound like you let her go on and on just because you are here saying she does.
    You may be the only person in the world who puts up with her, so she's even worse, dumping all her complaints on you.
    From now on, it's your fault. Don't LET her do it to you!
    My response to her latest message? "I'm busy. It's YOUR problem"
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2016, 08:36 AM
    You are dead on!!
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2016, 09:07 AM
    You an either stop spending time with her, or you can tell her that you are not going to discuss the same old tired topic with her any more.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2016, 09:07 AM
    I agree.. she sounds aggravating, not sweet. Sure you should be able to vent with friends from time to time... but when it becomes a constant thing... not even friends want to hear it.
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2016, 11:48 PM
    So here are the events of last night... I tried to chat with everyone about normal topics.. Because it was not about her you could see she was not liking it and tried to jump in between my conversation saying " u will never guess what he was doing on our way down here . Calling me rude words.. Etc etc. Then the mood between then was soooo off they began arguing and she ended up storming off home. Then calling me st 2am and sending long messages about him.

I only heard from him that next weekend he's taking her on a weekend break just them for her birthday. She obviously never told me this as she knows id laugh in her face.

It's mental
    current pert

Aug 27, 2016, 04:16 AM
    Good job. It isn't going to be easy. Don't fall into the same trap where you spend half your time complaining about HER!
    Use tough love on her when it's just the 2 of you. Mostly just say STOP. GOODBYE. TALK LATER. I DON'T WANT TO HEAR THIS ANYMORE. And HANG UP!
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2016, 01:55 AM
    What I don't understand is... He was and still is abusive verbally and does put her around abit even in front of their kids. Yet she still keeps constant contact with him and they meet etc. I know its not my business really but why would someone stay in touch with such a person especially after bullying her so much and never helps with the kids. Then all her friends just have to listen to constant things about her drama wit him. Could it be she enjoys it?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 29, 2016, 04:28 AM
    Yes. She does enjoy the drama and apparently you do as well. Do you not have your own life to lead without listening to hers ? I couldn't put up with that for five minutes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teenage son lets 19 yr. Old friend drive parents car and the friend wrecks it. [ 5 Answers ]

The 19 yr. old is licensed and has his own insurance. He is at fault in the wreck. One of the passengers in the other vehicle conveniently discovers neck pain when the police arrive. How much liability will the parents insurance company have toward vehicle repair and who is responsible for the...

F your girl friend is telling her friend that she don't know if she love her boy frie [ 3 Answers ]

F your girl friend is telling her friend that she don't know if she love her boy friend or not,but she don't want to loss him,what is the meaning

My friend ed about my best friend I told my best friend and My friend found out [ 1 Answers ]

My friend wrote a letter to me saying why my best friend is not tlkin to her then she said that the only reason why my best friend is stuck to me is because she doesn't have any friends. I knew that my friend es about everybody even me... My best friend already knows what my friend says about her...

View more questions Search