Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 25, 2016, 07:53 AM
    Using inverter with car battery
    I gave away my small generator (too heavy, too much work).
    I bought a small inverter, 750-1500 watts. I only will use 460 watts during a power outage (200w heater, 200w blanket, 50w heating pad, 1 LED bulb). Plus a wood stove.

I can park very close to the house, and I put a bushing in the exterior wall for a 10', 10 gauge extension cord to go through.

Now what about the little cables with the alligator clips that came with the inverter? They look thin to me. They say 9mm2, so I looked up the gauge, and a chart says that is 7-8 AWG. How can it possibly be, when they are so thin? Do I consider them together, and I'm OK?

Never knew I'd have to learn all about electricity. Not going to happen. I tried to buy heavier gauge short cable, of which there are plenty, but none have alligator clips on one end. Even companies that sell nothing but inverters.

So I am not going to fry my battery or electronics or burn my house down as is?
    Thanks as always
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2016, 09:16 AM
    You want a deep cycle battery for this application (with a battery tender to keep it charged when not using it)... not a car battery. Unless you will hook this up to car and leave your car running while using it (I've done this before). Using that little... you can probably get away with it... (very dependent on vehicle and what its alternator can put out at idle). You don't want to draw down the battery on the car, bad for the battery and would leave you stranded.
    current pert

Aug 25, 2016, 09:29 AM
    smoothy, I'm not going to buy a marine battery. A really long power outage hasn't happened here since 2011. I'd leave the van running. (Some sites say you only need 10 minutes/hour for this small an amount of power.)

Anyway I'm still wondering about the battery-to-inverter cable gauge.
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2016, 09:49 AM
    Quck check if you are pushing it... trial run with everything you would have running, on... without the numbers and wire gauges tossed around, if its not even warm to the touch (the wires to the battery) after a few minutes of running, you are good to go... the inverter I would expect to get a bit warm. I assume you are running your extension cord out to the van where the inverter will be. Wires very warm to the touch...not a good thing. I'd keep the inverter as close to the battery as practical, run the extension cord to the house.

We rarely lose power long too, but I did a McGueyver about 10 years ago after a really bad ice storm using an old computer UPS I had laying around with a bad 12v battery, jerry rigged it it with a power cord out the window to my car that I left idling...ran tv and light for over 12 hours before power came back on.

And as Murphys law would dictate, got a hold of two used generators that didn't run that were found on a Foreclosure cleanup that I got working....haven't needed either since. (never leave sitting with fuel in them) but keep a full can handy with fuel stabilizer in it over the winter.
    current pert

Aug 25, 2016, 10:06 AM
    I'm just not a trial run type for something that should be calculable....
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2016, 10:10 AM
    Would take me some time to look up the info and calculate it, at work now with too much else going on... could come up with something later tonight.
    current pert

Aug 25, 2016, 10:31 AM
    Couldn't find the right kind of calculator. Tried for 2 days.
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2016, 12:08 PM
    Keep in mine even using OHM's law calculations to find current draw (amps) needed to determine wire size, the unknown with be the efficiency of the inverter. You can calculate your loads, but it will draw even more than it would require on paper as that assumes no losses. Quite honestly I have no idea what inverters are running at % efficiency wise these days.

OHM's law calculator

http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms-law-calculator
    current pert

Aug 25, 2016, 02:38 PM
    I have decided that these won't burn up my battery or burn the house down.
    If they do, I will be sure to let everyone know!
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2016, 04:49 PM
    From your neighbors computer I assume?
    current pert

Aug 25, 2016, 05:04 PM
    yes, y
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2016, 05:43 AM
    :-) just so long as we don't get a "my house is on fire, what do you think I should do" post... :-)

Thats said tongue in cheek...hope you see the joke part of it....
    current pert

Aug 27, 2016, 04:41 AM
    Yes I do! I can't exist without jokes. Thanks. Bring marshmallows.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which type of battery is used along with inverter in residential purpose (230v). [ 4 Answers ]

* type of battery. * battery specification * number of batteries * which battery connection should be made(i.e series or parallel)

New battery and car still won't start battery discharges itself overnight [ 7 Answers ]

Replaced battery as car would not start. New battery discharges itself overnight and car still won't start. Car has been in Workshop for 3 days and they say battery is perfect. They have charged it and say all aspects of battery are good. Car will still not start and they don't know why. Has...

Inverter and deep cycle battery sizing calculation [ 1 Answers ]

I have a combine load of 1400watts, I want to determine the inverter and deep cycle battery required to carry my load for the period of 10hrs a day.

Which Lead Acide battery is good for my UPS (Inverter) of 600 Watts [ 2 Answers ]

I have a UPS(Inverter) of 600 Watt from which I am running 4 fans (60 Watt each) and 10 energy saver bulbs (13Watt each). 2 Lead Acid batteries (used in cars) of 12volts 60Amp and 65Amp each are connected in parallel. After 3 months the UPS kept on charging batteries and 1 of the batteries (65Amp)...

DC deep cycle battery, AC wattage on inverter etc. [ 17 Answers ]

Hello again. Long time, no speak. I have a buddy that needs to put a battery bank into an old house boat he is fixing up. And I've had a heck of a time finding a calculation that'll allow a person to figure out AC wattage, that'll drain DC deep cycle batteries, with X amp hours. I've found online...

View more questions Search