Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    llr1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2016, 01:17 PM
    Are Bison and buffalo the same?
    A park ranger recently told my tour group Bison and Buffalo are the same. My research indicates they are different animals from different continents. What is the real answer?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2016, 01:42 PM
    They are different species. However, even in the Buffalo genus there are many differences. Remember, the Buffalo nickel was misnamed too. Genetically they are probably 99% the same.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 22, 2016, 02:35 PM
    The ranger was correct. The AMERICAN 'buffalo' IS the bison. European settlers called them buffalo after the Asian buffalo they had seen, for lack of a better word.

Many native people don't like the term bison, however, and prefer buffalo, so it gets a little confusing.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Aug 22, 2016, 03:18 PM
    Buffalo don't roam across the United States and Bison don't roam across Asia and Africa, cousins maybe, both are huge with Buffalo winning the ugly contest.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 23, 2016, 04:34 AM
    "In North America, the names are used interchangeably for the species Bison bison," Ross MacPhee, Curator of the Department of Mammalogy at the American Museum of Natural History, said. But though both bison and buffalo are bovids, or members of the cattle family, there are some definite differences between them. "Elsewhere—in non-English-speaking Europe, for example—a bison is the European Bison, Bison bonasus, a species very closely related to B. bison," MacPhee says. "A buffalo is either a Cape Buffalo Syncerus (Africa), or Water Buffalo Bubalus (South Asia), neither of which are closely related to either kind of bison."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thomas mengelsen signed photograph of NATIVE AMERICAN-BISON,#2759. [ 0 Answers ]

I got the photo via trade and curious about it's value. Well framed triple mat. It is HAND SIGNED 1992 photo of a head of a bison partially covered in snow. Photo is 250/2500. anyone have some ideas? I found the photo on the web it is #2759 native american-bison, edition of 2500. my...

Buffalo Nickel [ 5 Answers ]

Howdy again everyone! I have found a perfect condition, non-replica, readable Buffalo nickel! The ONLY thing I cannot read is the date. Any good prices? It looks really old but is in great condition. :) Thanks. Bye.

View more questions Search