Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kathy5260 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2016, 09:39 PM
    Mystery odor
    There is a weird odor coming from the space around my 18" Fridigaire dishwasher. It was installed a little over a year ago when we remodeled the kitchen. The smell is hard to describe, but is like stale pipe tobacco, very strong and drifts through the house. It started about two weeks ago. It does not come from inside the dishwasher, although I did take apart the drain and filter just to be sure. Clean as a whistle.

We pulled it out and there are no leaks or mold, no sign of critters, other than a few dust bunnies ;-) I scrubbed the area with a vinegar and baking soda solution, then a germicidal cleaner and then borax and water. It was better but is coming back again just as strong. The smell migrates to the cabinet under the sink, which I have also thoroughly cleaned out. There are no leaks evident in the flooring underneath the area in the basement.

I am at my wits end. Has anyone run into something like this? Could it be the cabinet material surrounding it, which is laminated particle board?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 21, 2016, 05:54 AM
    One thing you might need to inspect as it can bring that same smell into an area is the electrical. If it is heating up the insulation can stink. Since you mention remodeling then I would also look there just for that reason. Connections sometimes go bad after a short while because they weren't correct in the first place.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2016, 03:54 PM
    It sounds serious because, as cdad said, it could be a loose connection which can cause arching and a fire. I have had this happen where I once lived and it came very close to causing a fire. Turn off the breaker to it and pull it out and then check all connections until you find the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad odor, sewage odor after I use washer, It also causes the toilet to gurgle [ 1 Answers ]

Bad sewage odor after I use washer, It also causes the toilet to gurgle, both on the main level

Strong odor coming from heating vent - after duct replacement for previous odor. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a strong odor coming from one of my heating vents. This occurred for the first time (in the 5 years I've lived here) last year (in mid-February, as opposed to late January - coincidental?). At that time, I had a heating duct replaced. The old duct was wet inside, and the HVAC tech said...

Mystery 3/25/09 [ 7 Answers ]

Mystery musty odor [ 10 Answers ]

This house was built in 2001 and is a slab house. We are the second owners. There is a mysterious musty odor that is in the foyer closet and in the wall from the foyer closet to the front door. The closet and foyer are back to back to the garage. We have had a mold/mildew inspection done and...

View more questions Search