Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    awaite Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2016, 07:36 PM
    Window Broken inside, but hit outside
    Someone tried to break into through the window,the weird thing is that the outside showed no damage,but the inside shattered.Can someone give me a scientific explanation for this, with proof?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 20, 2016, 07:49 PM
    Assuming this is a double pane window, are you sure a break in attempt, and how do you know that?

A simple Google search will show that it is actually common for some double pane windows to have the inside window crack or break due to stress cracks or environmental changes. Thus the reason why most of the larger window groups give long warranties. Some have been known just to crack all by theirself after several years of age.
    awaite Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2016, 07:53 PM
    I know it was break in a attempt because there was a broken broom outside my door when the cops came.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2016, 08:56 AM
    I would guess the inside glass was more brittle, could be outside glass was more flexible due to being warmer(exposed to the outside)?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 21, 2016, 11:55 AM
    Glass can have nickel sulfide inclusions, actually tiny invisible to the eye 'rocks' that grow with age and weaken the glass. The outer pane might have had fewer or none, and the inner one more.
    There's probably a bunch of reasons that only an expert could diagnose upon seeing the entire window, undisturbed after the break.
    Maybe the seal around the outside was softer and absorbed shock that transferred to the inner (similar to what Stratmando said).
    If you have problems with police or insurance, contact the manufacturer, if you can find it in the corner of the window.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Missouri: Rental House Broken In, Who is responsible for repairs to broken window? [ 2 Answers ]

The tenant was gone for a couple of weeks and over the break, there was a burglary and the burglar had broken into the kitchen window. Who is responsible for repairs to the broken window, the tenant or the landlord? And what are the Missouri laws relevant to this issue?

A drunk driver hit my car with my boyfriend inside [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend was parked on the side of the road and rear ended by a drunk driver. We contacted his insurance company to put in a claim, it took them 3 weeks to send out an estimator and another week before they got into contact with their insured, who at the time told them that his car was stolen....

Broken Pella window [ 5 Answers ]

My church has a couple broken Pella windows. They are the casement type, aluminum clad, a single pane of glass plus a storm window with a wood grid between. Is there any taking them apart and replacing the glass, or do I pay a Pella authorized technician to replace the whole sash? Remember, I am...

Inside window pane cracked [ 4 Answers ]

Mother in laws Anderson double pane window. The inside one which is exposed to extreme sunlight cracked. Not just one crack, but many cracks. She can't think of how it happened, so she thinks it was the sun. I know mine fill up with condensation, but what would cause it to crack like that?

Inside window treatments [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I get plastic window muttons for my double hung windows?

View more questions Search